horselady21

problem using zipper feet on Juki LU563 walking foot machine

I still love my refurbed Juki that I got this summer, and it has been doing great! Since I have come to a point where I am making some purses now, I am getting less afraid of zippers, and want to start using them. I ordered zipper feet (both left and right) for it, and received them, but after installing them, realized that the serrated back foot holds the leather still, while the walking foot in the front pushes the leather. I guess if this were a "normal" zipper set up, with just a zipper and material on one side of the feet, it would be ok, but since this is in the middle of a purse, not so good! Any ideas? I was thinking maybe I could tape a smooth piece of steep or plastic to the bottom of the back foot so the leather would slide like normal, but is there an actual legit set up for this purpose? Thanks for any help!

Nevermind...just answered my own question, and saw the problem for the intermittent problem I have been having with stitches, thread, bobbin issues (thought it was me, but obviously not!) It looks like the back foot bar is intermittently not picking up at all...just drags, then all of a sudden will start moving again. Maybe time for alittle TLC at the local shop I've been talking to! Thanks anyways!

Glad you found a trail, and to mention that model would be very tough to best.

I agree finding some zipper feet with smooth surfaces would be super for this leather sewing. and please! post any leads if you do

Something I thought a bit interesting is, the presser feet should raise the same amount when walking, and smartly you picked up that issue, maybe a link out of adjustment or really became loose enough to get moved.

Another bit I found interesting is the presser feet length "ideally" should be the same length when mounted as the previous removed set. This I know can work in some fabricating / sewing we do if not the same, but in a perfect world this is really the only way to avoid proper machine re adjustment when this foot change is made.

And a problem is sometimes we may change this out a couple times or more a day so this becomes more a concern.  It bothers me as I don't have an answer where to purchase these I need "that would be the same" but I can easily say if the factory specification were strictly held to they would not be so cheap.  So it may be this issue has bearing if you can install the previous presser feet and return to sewing as it did before, if it did sew alright before.

have a good day, and welcome any new finds 

Floyd

Edited by brmax