arich

Is the Consew 255b the right machine?

I've worked with leather for a few years and now I think it's time to step up to a machine. I make clutches and purses out of veg tan (1/4" and little thicker from time to time) I'm looking at a Consew 255b. From what I've read this machine will get the job done, opinions? And are there any adjustments that I might need to make to this machine? I've read about these machines being fast. 

Here's what the ad says
walking foot,
large bobin,
working condition,
new table,new stand...

clutch motor
under 60 day warranty...

They're asking $550

image.jpeg

You'll want to swap out the clutch motor for a servo motor  ( about $100.oo to $150.oo) and maybe a speed reducer too ( build your own, or buy one around $120.oo ) ..for what you want to do, the 255b will be OK..It is a clone of a Singer ..Looks a lot like my 211 :)

I'd like a cylinder arm "just because" :)

Seriously, yeah, I thought about suggesting a cylinder arm ( one can always make a table to convert it to a flat bed ) but at $550.oo the price seems good ( if they are not worn out ) and a cylinder arm can be bought later* as an additional machine..

and a collection is born ;)

*"a bird in the hand"

Edited by mikesc

Does that machine have reverse? If not, you might find it difficult to lock your stitches with bulky items that are hard to turn 180 degrees to sew the opposite direction.

I think on the Consews that for it to have reverse that there must be a letter R in the machine designation, but there appear to be at least 3 machines there , two do not have a reverse lever , the one at the back , can't tell, the head is partially masked by the ones in the foreground, reverse would be ideal .

Servo motor allows much more control, can start slower, and can let you limit it's top speed..

Not tough, depends how good you are with a welder..

search here for previous threads on servo motors and speed reducers

copy and paste this

servo motors site:leatherworker.net

into your favourite search engine,

read the results, many threads, with details of servo motors

and then copy and paste this

speed reducer site:leatherworker.net

into your favourite search engine,

and read the results.., many threads including images of bought and DIY speed reducers

both have been discussed loads of times

HTH :)

You may be fine with just a servo, depending on the servo and the settings it has. Try it first and then fit a speed reducer if needed. If you've never tried a machine with a clutch motor it'll probably scare the pants off you the first time! Trust us, a servo is money well spent.

It looks as though the table, stand, light are like new.  Maybe the machine head even though a older design as its less reverse is new old stock, NOS.  I agree that with a nice servo motor replacement the machine would be a nice flatbed to have, and this is even though the motor is likely a new clutch motor.

good day

Floyd

If its anything like my 211g155 which they look to be it will be pretty fast. With a cheapo servo motor I was able to easily control it for making my motorcycle seats. That being said its torque is not great when slowed way down for stitching vegtan or thicker leather. It did fine for the upholstery leather I used on the seats so no speed reducer needed. The machine pulley as you can see in the pics is pretty small. 

The 211 is a good machine once it is running good. If these are in good shape which they look to be they should serve you well as long as you can work around no reverse and not having a cylinder arm machine. 

Arich, that was where I started my "journey" into the wonderful and arcane world of industrial sewing machines! I made and fitted a speed reducer to my first machine, and then fitted a larger pulley to the handwheel. I still couldn't control it to suit my needs. I now have three servos plus speed reducers on two of them and a very large (8") pulley replacing the handwheel on the third machine (the Pfaff 335). As MM said the speed reducer coupled with the servo is the way to go, as it will give very slow speed and more torque, although with what you want to sew I'm sure a servo alone will be adequate.

I contacted this guy and he has some with reverse and servo's. In fact you can see the center one has a servo. The one with reverse will cost a bit more but See if you can make a deal.

Super helpful Wishful!

I'm going to take a look at it tomorrow.

I'm going to bring some scraps to try it out. Is there anything specific I should keep an eye out for while giving it a test drive?

Yes the option machine with reverse will make your days much better, and your thread choice now may be hand thread so with machines of that style the largest thread testing will prove best at this time, that size will be 138-and ?maybe 207 on top.

Sometimes the issues are going from one level to another in the fabrication, like a seam and that bump can be the adjustment needed, most are setup for one layer jump/bump with heavier jean, leather, canvas so overcoming this seam may well need more "step adjustment" proper.

If it is tested with the largest thread you will use as above and "would" be best as this may require a hook/needle adjustment and the best time for it.

I think your Dad would be happier installing a pre made option, or a smaller pulley at first if by choice btdt

very best of luck to you all

good Friday

Floyd

Thanks for all your help everyone, I brought home the machine yesterday! Excited to get going on it. What size thread do I need? I will be sewing 1/4 tooling leather. The manual says up to a #8 and a left twist thread. I like the look of a thicker thread. 

I think getting the servo is more important than reverse. Depending on the size of the project I've found it no big deal to turn the material to sew the first couple of stitches and then turn it back the right way.