Matt S

Just bought a BUSM 6

Well I'm excited, just bought a BUSM/Pearson #6! Came with bobbin winder and round-rein attachment, as well as some feet (not sure if they're prickers or needle steadies yet).

Probably have to sell the Adler to make space for it... (Anyone interested in an Adler 67?)

Bit jealous you have a bobbin winder. I have to wind my Pearson bobbins with a drill. 

Can you post pics of the rein rounder attachment?

regards.

Barra

Haven't picked it up yet (have to figure how to get it into a hatchback... She'll be right if I take the head and feet off the stand I reckon) so the detailed photos have to wait till next week. The winder seems to be missing its inner wax pot, but otherwise intact, including the gas jet. There's a top wax box but no other waxing gear, flat table, a box of bobbins, needles and feet, and some various manuals.

$_3.JPG

$_3 (1).JPG

Very nice! Is that the original manual on the last picture? Green book seems to be a parts list for Singer, right? What model is it for? Seems even the roller edge guide is included.

Right, the bobbin winder the "tub" with lid is missing. Check if is is somewhere around when you pick up the machine. I have restored a DVSG / BUSMC #6 last year (though still not completely finished). In this thread you see the tub:

I guess you have to disassemble the machine. However, the heaviest part it the stand with the monster flywheel.

I´d also be interested in seeing detailed pictures of the flat bed attachment :)

Edited by Constabulary

Yes that's the original manual, and one for the Singer 45k. I'll see if he has the tub for the bobbin waxer.

I read your thread a few times, don't think I'll going to strip mine as thoroughly as yours, I'll never get the thing in fettle again!

On 03/10/2016 at 0:22 PM, barra said:

Bit jealous you have a bobbin winder. I have to wind my Pearson bobbins with a drill. 

Can you post pics of the rein rounder attachment?

regards.

Barra

Steve Bonnet might still have one in stock Barra

Thanks Darren. I will give him a buzz.

top left are the prickers, and bottom left are the needle steadies.  Darren I have rein rounder attachments if you want to see them..

Pearson No 6 rein rounder attachment.  This is the original we also manufacture new faithful reproductions.

Pearson rein rounder and plate-1.jpg

So I picked it up yesterday. For the record it will fit in a 5 door VW Polo so long as you take the head off and put the back seats down. Acceleration up hills suffers a tad though...

Machine is generally in great condition, under 2mm of oil/dust/wax -- though this has protected everything underneath. The solution top wax box is still there, as is what I think used to be a hot water reservoir at the back (flat iron box with a loose lid and a pipe through the the front). Serial number is 10,400-something. Does anyone know how this relates to manufacture date?

I asked about the missing wax tub on the bobbin winder. The chap didn't have a spare one but he said he had another, complete winder. After some dickering, a handshake and an exchange of cash I took home a second, complete gas heated bobbin winder, a smaller one that I think is for the Landis (but fits Pearson bobbins), three wax pots for the Singer 45, a spare Pearson shuttle, some bobbins, and around 100 various NOS needles.

The manual for this machine is the February 1917 edition. There's also a BUSM catalogue but it's missing its covers and flyleaf. The Singer 45k parts list was not part of the sale but I'd fit sale. Guy also has a lot of misc 45k parts including a few shuttles for sale, with boxes of threads, full reels of webbing, saddlery hardware and cases of thread.

I'll upload some detailed photos later this week, including the ones people have requested.

Well done, 10.400 is prob mid 1930s.

I  just purchased a Pearson no 6 and trying to figure out the manufacture date among a million other things about this machine.    I see a number just behind the needle area on top it is stamped in the metal 6500.    Thought maybe this is just a part number.  Where exactly would I find this number ? The front wheel has The British United Shoe Machinery Corp Leicester  England on it.  Just got it home Saturday and tried sewing but it seems to be skipping a couple of stitches here and there.   Any information would be appreciated. 

Thanks Peg

Hey Peg, congratulations on the No 6! I, and I'm sure lots of others, would enjoy seeing pictures of the old gal.

What thread are you using, and how is the nose of the shuttle? On a boat/bullet shuttle machine like the No 6 the nose should be sharp, polished and without burrs. This is the functional equivalent to the shuttle hook on a more modern machine so has to pass very close to the needle scarf in order to prevent the stitches skipping.

I found a few minutes to get some picture however no time to do anything with it.  Here is one picture of it getting loaded off the truck with our tractor.  Not sure how or where I can post other pictures as it seems to only allow this one.

IMG_20181125_152342.jpg

Hiya I just bought one of these machines a few days back for an absolute steal and I was wondering if there's anyone out there who could help me to figure out why the shuttle thread isn't catching on the needle thread to create stitches? I've spent hours dicking around and getting everything else on it cleaned, greased and aligned properly but this one is completely eluding me.

Also any tips on how to wind thread for the shuttle and what to do with the reservoir at the top and back of the machine as well as any other tips or tricks would be seriously appreciated.

Much Love

Luke

Hi Luke..

Go to this discussion and grab the manual..  kindly provided by a fellow Kiwi friend.

the shuttle point could be worn down.. quite a common issue.

https://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/33348-downloadable-manual-for-pearson-no6/?tab=comments#comment-207083

On 10/2/2016 at 10:20 PM, Matt S said:

Well I'm excited, just bought a BUSM/Pearson #6! Came with bobbin winder and round-rein attachment, as well as some feet (not sure if they're prickers or needle steadies yet).

Probably have to sell the Adler to make space for it... (Anyone interested in an Adler 67?)

Well done Matt. Being a Virgo and a bit of a heathen when It comes to restoration I find myself strangely joining in with your enthusiasm. I'm sure I'll understand what all the fuss is about when you show it doing what it undoubtedly did very well in it's heyday.

1 hour ago, gordond said:

Hi Luke..

Go to this discussion and grab the manual..  kindly provided by a fellow Kiwi friend.

the shuttle point could be worn down.. quite a common issue.

https://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/33348-downloadable-manual-for-pearson-no6/?tab=comments#comment-207083

If your shuttlepoint is worn down you can build it back up a bit with some solder and reshape.  Either Tin (lead free) or Silver Solder.   Silver solder would take years to wear back down unless you use it daily.  I've seen Campbell/Randall shuttles built up with it and they work fine.

1 hour ago, toxo said:

Well done Matt. Being a Virgo and a bit of a heathen when It comes to restoration I find myself strangely joining in with your enthusiasm. I'm sure I'll understand what all the fuss is about when you show it doing what it undoubtedly did very well in it's heyday.

Scarily I've had that thing for half a decade now... :blink: :lol: I've put a lot of leather through her over the years but not as much as I thought. Compared with modern machines it's slow to run and slow to adjust, but it's a thing of such beauty and controllability that I don't think I'll ever willingly let it go.

9 hours ago, LoopyLeathers said:

Hiya I just bought one of these machines a few days back for an absolute steal and I was wondering if there's anyone out there who could help me to figure out why the shuttle thread isn't catching on the needle thread to create stitches? I've spent hours dicking around and getting everything else on it cleaned, greased and aligned properly but this one is completely eluding me.

Also any tips on how to wind thread for the shuttle and what to do with the reservoir at the top and back of the machine as well as any other tips or tricks would be seriously appreciated.

Much Love

Luke

Hi Luke. Congrats on the purchase, they're great machines. Could be a few issues, but tricky to diagnose without a few more details.

Assuming that your needle is correctly installed, undamaged, and matches your thread size(s), does this occur the same run "empty" as with some leather in it? Under some combinations of setting and thread the loops collapse before the shuttle nose can pick them up. With some leather in the machine the loop has a little more resistance. If this is your first lock-stitch machine remember that stitches only really "lock" when they're in material -- they unravel immediately when the machine is run empty and that is normal. Like all sewing machines the thread type and treatment affects how the machine behaves. Try a variety of what you have on-hand and see what happens. Also, take a look in the manual and adjust your thread staple to near its mid-point. The #6 has a weird and wonderful thread take-up system, and that thing essentially adjusts how "high" the locked stitch gets pulled up into the leather, which may affect how long the loop is open for before it collapses.

Bobbins were intended to be filled with the dedicated winder, which was always separate from the machine and so many have become permanently separated. A small drill (cordless or eggbeater) will work with some care. To fill you put the end of the thread through the hole and turn the bobbin, guiding the thread by hand to form even, neat layers. Stop before the thread goes proud of the flanges. Then trim off the stub, load your shuttle (giving each end a very slight oiling) and get cranking.

Wax pot content is something I'd like to learn more about. I've tried linseed oil, silicone oil, solution wax (paraffin in white spirit), liquid furniture wax, and even machine oil. Most of them just made a mess and some damaged the thread. Now I mostly run synthetic thread so the pot stays empty.

11 minutes ago, Matt S said:

Scarily I've had that thing for half a decade now... :blink: :lol: I've put a lot of leather through her over the years but not as much as I thought. Compared with modern machines it's slow to run and slow to adjust, but it's a thing of such beauty and controllability that I don't think I'll ever willingly let it go.

Didn't realise it was an old post. I went from that post to the Japanese technology (See my last) how far we've come.

Hi there I thought I would post some photos of what I have purchased in the hopes that I can be steered in the right direction to some more information, thanks to everybody who has currently responded. I have downloaded the manual and am currently chipping away at pieces and translating the jargon.

Im still not getting any luck in creating a stitch, so im currently fiddling around oiling, reassembling, cleaning, testing things etc.

If anybody has more tips based off of these photos, I would seriously appreciate that.

IMG_0606 2.HEIC IMG_0609.HEIC IMG_0610.HEIC IMG_0612.HEIC IMG_0613.HEIC IMG_0614.HEIC IMG_0615.HEIC IMG_0616.HEIC IMG_0617.HEIC IMG_0619.HEIC IMG_0620.HEIC IMG_0621.HEIC IMG_0624.HEIC IMG_0626.HEIC

2 hours ago, LoopyLeathers said:

Hi there I thought I would post some photos of what I have purchased in the hopes that I can be steered in the right direction to some more information, thanks to everybody who has currently responded. I have downloaded the manual and am currently chipping away at pieces and translating the jargon.

Im still not getting any luck in creating a stitch, so im currently fiddling around oiling, reassembling, cleaning, testing things etc.

If anybody has more tips based off of these photos, I would seriously appreciate that.

IMG_0606 2.HEIC 122.92 kB · 4 downloads IMG_0609.HEIC 105.04 kB · 2 downloads IMG_0610.HEIC 97.72 kB · 0 downloads IMG_0612.HEIC 93.43 kB · 0 downloads IMG_0613.HEIC 93.85 kB · 0 downloads IMG_0614.HEIC 85.1 kB · 0 downloads IMG_0615.HEIC 88.46 kB · 0 downloads IMG_0616.HEIC 85.19 kB · 0 downloads IMG_0617.HEIC 81.55 kB · 0 downloads IMG_0619.HEIC 44.53 kB · 0 downloads IMG_0620.HEIC 75.24 kB · 0 downloads IMG_0621.HEIC 72.29 kB · 1 download IMG_0624.HEIC 117.71 kB · 0 downloads IMG_0626.HEIC 128.14 kB · 0 downloads

These photos won't open on a Windows computer unless the owner buys a paid extension. They are Apple specific file types.