JosephineM

Masks by newbie

I've been doing leatherwork for about a year, mostly learning stitching and making bags, and have finally started making masks. As you can see I'm still working out how to do colouring.  Would love any feedback / advice :)

In order of making:

1.  Cat - made from 2mm undyed leather, coloured using vinegaroon + bicarb wash then shined with shoe polish

2. Raven - made from 2mm undyed leather, coloured using a combination of wood dye (Mylands water dye in grey which I've previously used to stain wood black) & Rub 'n' Buff in black.

3. Wolf - made from pre-dyed grey 2mm leather, coloured using Rub 'n' Buff then washed with paint thinner resulting in white wash effect (the nose is the original colour)

4. Stag - made using pre-dyed 2mm leather, no additional colouring.

5. Unicorn - made using pre-dyed 2mm leather, no additional colouring.

mask No1 cat resized.JPG

mask No2 raven resized.JPG

mask No3 wolf resized.JPG

mask no4 stag resized.JPG

mask No5 unicorn resized.JPG

Really nice. 

WOW they are awesome. How do you shape the ears and antlers and get them to stay in the shape required? 

17 hours ago, Peter Darby said:

Really nice. 

4 hours ago, AussieMade said:

WOW they are awesome. How do you shape the ears and antlers and get them to stay in the shape required? 

Thanks for the feedback. The same as any moulded leather, they're made from vegetable tanned leather which I wet with hot (not boiling) water, allow to dry a while then shape and leave to air dry.  There are tutorials on here and across the internet which are really useful.