arich

Consew 255 needle & thread size

Just brought home my first industrial! It's a Consew 255 and I'll be sewing about 1/4" (sometimes a little more) tooling leather 

The manual says up to #8 left twist thread however I don't see either of these when I search for thread to purchase. 

What is the best to use? I like the look of thicker thread

Also- do I need triangle point needles for sewing leather?

What to use depends on what you can get, and what you can get ( easily ) depends on where you are..you need to update your profile ( town or area and country ) so that you can be advised..needle and thickness of thread depends not so much on how thick the leather is as much as what will you be making with it, almost all thread on spools for machines nowadays is left handed twist, unless it actually says otherwise, probably why the manufacturers don't mark the  twist on the vast majority of threads now.

Edited by mikesc

Congrats on your new machine!!

I'm not a sewing machine guy, but I read  this post might get you headed the right direction ...  http://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/42187-ll-vs-lr-needles-stitch-patterns/  There's a LOT of info there about leather needles, so be sure to check out the links in that thread.  You also might want to poke around on the Schmetz needle learning center, there's a tremendous amount of info there, Who knew there was that much to a seemingly simple needle! 

Our own Cowboy Bob at Toledo Industrial has a great chart on their website for sizing thread/needle combinations.  

As mikesc mentioned above, right twist thread is relatively rare, and I remember somebody saying it's now used only on a few special machines.  Right/left twist is also known as S/Z twist, and there's a bit of info about it on Superior threads website. Superior threads also has a LOT of great educational articles.   Searching the web for S Z twist might reveal even more.

Like I said, I'm not a sewing machine guy (yet), but I do find 'em fascinating so read lots on here to be ready for the day I find myself with one!  

I'm sure that at some point one of the real sewing machine folks on here will chip in with more info that I could ever provide.

Bill

Billybopp ..your first link there to a previous thread here is broken ..so here the link is again.. :)