USMCLoneWolf

Small Of Back Holster help!!!!

Hey Ya'll,

I have had a couple friends who want s.o.b. holsters.  Does anyone have a pattern I could use or any idea of how to draw one up??  Any help would be much appreciated!!

Thanks!!

Just be sure that they know if they have a pistol on their spine, . . . get pushed down hard, . . . they will be in a wheel chair for the rest of their lives.

A number of holster makers do not make them for that very reaoson, . . . I am one of them.

May God bless,

Dwight

For sure!!   I have seen that occur in a couple people...but they are paying customers so I feel I must oblige... but I totally get that.  

Thanks!!

actually no you don't have to oblige. If something happens, they can come back and sue you. You are a business person, you have the right to decide if you are going to serve a client or not

I agree with Halitech.

You are the "maker" and absolutely decide what you do and don't make. I am what I believe to be a strange bread... I am a practicing Mennonite, shooting sport enthusiast and holster maker and when I explain to PB clients (versus airgun/airsoft clients) that while I have no opinion on or objection to their right to carry I personally will not make a holster for a gun that is carried for personal defence or duty and thus may be drawn on and take human life they almost always say "OK I can respect that thanks."  and if they want a range or competition or wall hanger holster I am ok with all that.... and if they are offended in anyway that is their own business and waste of precious time and energy.

And now to be fair and answer you OP question if you google "small of the back holster pattern" and check out the images results there are very good shots of them and some patterns shown as well. If you do make on please post how it went.

12 hours ago, Halitech said:

actually no you don't have to oblige. If something happens, they can come back and sue you. You are a business person, you have the right to decide if you are going to serve a client or not

Not trying to be rude or anything, more devils advocate,  but I would like to see the  lawsuits against the larger gun holster manufacturers that made and make sob holsters.

I can say that i have never seen or heard of such lawsuits.   Not doubting that someone has tried but certainly none have succeeded that i know of. 

Thanks!

Edited by USMCLoneWolf

the big licensed makers probably have enough lawyers that they've written something into the purchasing agreement to protect themselves. And I didn't say they would, I said they can, same as a regular holster maker can be sued if the trigger break malfunctions and causes injury for example

You are not "obligated" - ever.  Always have the right to "just say no".  

As for being sued, your product does not need to be "unsafe" to get sued.  Can things happen?  Absolutely.  But the holster maker isn't responsible for EVERYTHING you do with a gun. 

• CARS are inherently dangerous.  But if you cross the center line and hit someone, it's not the auto maker's "fault".
  • GUNS are dangerous.  But if you rob the local store with one, the gun maker isn't guilty of the crime WITH you.
  • Even at the gym.. they have barbells, but it's UNDERSTOOD that you are responsible for your use of them.  Years back, I was there and saw a guy get carried to a waiting life-flight helicopter from a barbell to the forehead.  It's dangerous - but the barbell maker didn't do it.

But this doesn't mean they won't be named in a suit ANYWAY.  In fact, it seems the only people likely to NOT be sued are those with little enough money that it makes it not worth the time and trouble to sue them!  

I can't help with the pattern, since I have never made one of those.  My reasoning may be slightly different than some others, but still ....

You can be sued by anyone anytime. They could be totally out to lunch and their lawsuit gets thrown out of court, you still gotta take the time to deal with it. Even in the unlikely event you get legal fees awarded to you in the judgement, you can not replace the time. Also keep in mind, people with money usually won't file a lawsuit they can't win, whereas people with no money and nothing to lose will sue you a hail mary play. If you are awarded legal fees and damages from these people, good luck collecting. Again, the collecting is your time, which is irreplaceable.

As a rule, if you are concerned enough to question whether it is right to do something, it is not right. Do not do it. Listen to your instincts.

17 hours ago, Dwight said:

Just be sure that they know if they have a pistol on their spine, . . . get pushed down hard, . . . they will be in a wheel chair for the rest of their lives.

A number of holster makers do not make them for that very reaoson, . . . I am one of them.

May God bless,

Dwight

Being from a non-pistol carryin country I am a little lost here, Can you elaborate on the added danger of carrying this way?

Tinker, some believe spinal damage is a risk...falling on the ground with your weapon under the Small of your back.  Not from discharge but impact.

SOB holsters are quite controversial with some groups.  Like anything there are advantages and disadvantages.  It is up to the individual to research, experiment and ultimately decide what to do.

Edited by Tugadude

So after hearing all your thoughts, I have decided to change my design(in my head) a bit.  Seems like the only concern with people making them is with the spine and the small chance someone falls or is pushed down...  what if the holster has to be offset  due to design(cant angles a bit more vertical)???

3 hours ago, TinkerTailor said:

Being from a non-pistol carryin country I am a little lost here, Can you elaborate on the added danger of carrying this way?

Tinker Tailor, . . . it has been several years, . . . and I don't have the info right at my fingertips, but there was a post, . . . and it may have been on here, I'm not sure, . . . where another maker listed several instances where a person either fell or was pushed, . . . the impact of the spinal column being crossways to the handgun, . . . allowed the spine to be irreversibly damaged.  

I just don't want to be involved where that is a remote but none the less, . . . real possible scenario.  

I also do not make shoulder holsters that do not cause the muzzle to point down.

Not everyone is as careful with firearms as I am, . . . and knowing that, . . . I want to build in whatever safety I can for my customers.  If someone does not like my restrictions, . . . I wish them and their new supplier the very best.

May God bless,

Dwight

and you have to remember that in the hope and change society her in Merica right now people are being sued for not making a cake like someone wanted course that is a whole nother discussion.  but just imagine for a moment that someone did have an issue what the financial cost could be to you and your family.  But this has now been beat down fairly well, like someone ^^^ else mentioned patterns are out there, build or don't build it is your decision.

Don't call it a Small of the Back Holster, and print up a piece of paper with instructions warning that it is not recommended to be used as an SOB holster and the potential injury if it is.... give that with holster purchase... it might help if you have concerns..

And Semper Fi Brother!

Rummy

19 hours ago, Rummy said:

Don't call it a Small of the Back Holster, and print up a piece of paper with instructions warning that it is not recommended to be used as an SOB holster and the potential injury if it is.... give that with holster purchase... it might help if you have concerns..

And Semper Fi Brother!

Rummy

Thats a great idea!!  I shall for sure draw something up!!   Thanks for the input!!

Semper Fi as well!

USMCLoneWolf