craftsman827

Sewing credit card sleeves/linings.

I am making some credit card wallets.

Can someone show how to sew & install,

credit card slot linings.They are made from lining material.

Yup.  This works well...

Thank you rejerome, that is exactly what I was looking for !

just like that? no need to stitch on the ribbon?

Personal preference I suppose.  If you trust the tape (I use contact cement and have not tried the tape) then that's it.  If you want you could stitch across just under each card slot before you fold the ribbon down.  Here's one I did.  It is glued only.

IMG_1103.JPG

Edited by rejerome

I'm also curious to how long it will last.

Sure it would be ok but I just couldnt bring myself to send anything out the door that was held together just by glue.

MADMAX22, it sounds like you'd better sew it then when you start producing them.

I'm not the author of the video link I provided.  I was just being neighborly and answering the original question that was posted.

I have only made two wallets using this exact method. I am not mass producing these for sale at this time. I prefer card pockets to slots.   The ones I did make where given as gifts. They've been in use for over a year now with no failures.  My guess is the ribbon will crap out before the glue fails but it remains to be seen.  It has been my experience that modern day contact cement generally doesn't fail, but the material does. I could be wrong.  I generally and frequently am.

It doesn't take much time to build a prototype using this method.  If you have concerns then by all means I whole heartedly urge all readers to test the method demonstrated in the video above before you take my word for it. That's what I did before building any to hand out and for me, and as gifts I was satisfied they would last.

The wallets I made went to good friends. They'll have no issue letting me know if there's a problem. 

At the risk of raising further debate, I stumbled onto another video where fabric is used instead of ribbon.   In the video they stitched it (by hand) as I had mentioned you could do with the photo I posted earlier.  I did not envision that ribbon would hold up well at all after being stitched. I figured ribbon would start shredding as only ribbon can do after being poked full of holes with a leather stitching needle.

Now that I have seen this second method I intend to use this fabric and stitch (machine stitch) method going forward as the fabric will be easier to work with and more durable than ribbon, but again I will prototype it for myself first and not just rely on a video or my guessing.

I will include a link to this 2nd video....God help me! 

So, now know everything I know, and in the words of Forrest Gump; "That's all I've got a say about that." ;)

N

Edited by rejerome

Thanks for the videos/links. I know you were just being helpful and wasnt trying to go against the grain or anything, just throwing my opinion out there. Just my personal preference of not relying entirely on glue which could be totally unfounded. Just an old guys opinion. 

I hear weldwood will hold the fabric worry free...the fabric will rip before the bond breaks...I may use this technique for full exotic wallets

6 hours ago, Lalumiere said:

I hear weldwood will hold the fabric worry free...the fabric will rip before the bond breaks...I may use this technique for full exotic wallets

Having a lot of years running a shoe/bag repair business a common request was to fix where the fabric had let go from the pocket. A problem often overlooked is that most tanning uses oils (fatliquors) as part of the process. The glue may stick very well until the oils eventually migrate and if you think you can stick glue to oil you could become very rich.Most of the time it goes sticky and just slimes off of the leather. Some leathers are better than others but some can be raggy and separate anyway.

I watched the videos, one question, what thickness of leather are they using, it looks pretty thin and flexible ?

8 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

Having a lot of years running a shoe/bag repair business a common request was to fix where the fabric had let go from the pocket. A problem often overlooked is that most tanning uses oils (fatliquors) as part of the process. The glue may stick very well until the oils eventually migrate and if you think you can stick glue to oil you could become very rich.Most of the time it goes sticky and just slimes off of the leather. Some leathers are better than others but some can be raggy and separate anyway.

I exclusively use Chevre Sully at 1mm which I feel would be fine vs something like a Horween, keep in mind the sides would be hand saddle stitched which would take a great deal of the pressure off the the fabric that's only glued to the credit card slit. If Hermes and LV can do it with the same exact leather I'm pretty sure we most likely can too. I was going to make a card holder for myself in this style for myself to test it out

Wondering why he uses painters tape instead of something stickier. Would be worried it would come apart without glue or stitching.

The best bet is to go on youtube and watch videos from 4 or 5 different craftsmen. Search Ian atkinson on youtube. he is a teacher of some kind by day so makes some good videos, some of them are an hour or more long, really great detail. I sort of took (what I thought was) the best ideas from 4 or 5 craftsmen. Write questions down as you go then research the answers. Even then after your first wallet you'll prob decide to do it slightly different next time lol (or is that just me!) 

Also put wallet into the forum search bar here and click on each one. You will see all the problems people have had and there solutions and also find templates etc. 

If you haven't got the patience to do the research you may find you wont have the patience to do leatherwork as it's very slow and there is zero room for errors so you have to be totally focused.  I've not long started and I'm struggling a bit as I'm always reaching for perfection, my mistakes have been due to trying to run before i can walk kind of thing. I guess if you find it quick and easy you might be doing it wrong! take your time - experiment - waste a few pieces of leather.