John Graham

which is better, which one would you recommend?

I saw ads in Kijiji Classifieds - two sewing machines for sale asking for $450 both. But it didn't say what kind of sewing machine. I decided to email him to ask which model. He said, old Pfaff 1245.  I went to see his two sewing machines.  He offered $350 if I buy both of the sewing machines today.  I thought it was a great deal so I took it. BUT my dream was to own a Consew 206 RB5 sewing machine.  So I am planning on selling my 2 machines to buy a new Consew 206 But at the same time, I wonder if there is any different or better between Consew 206 and Pfaff 1245-6?  My purpose is making leather purses, bags, wallet, belt, and guitar strap. I love a thick stitching up to 207- thread size. I need your advices regarding PFAFF or Consew. It would be appreciated. Thanks .

IMG_1991.jpg

IMG_1992 2.jpg

I decided to buy the artisan 335b

check it out

http://www.artisansew.com/pdf/specs/335BBrochureSheet.pdf

For one thing, parts for the Consew are a lot cheaper than Pfaff parts.

As for using #207 thread, it's dependent on the setup of the hook and deflector to the scarf of the needle and the clearances along the thread path from the feed dog on down. You should try using #207 in the machine you just bought so you have a reference to compare the Consew to. I recommend using a #24 leather point needle for this.

Both of those machines have small bobbins, not going to get a whole bunch of thread on there in 207 size. They fit 50m in 45 tex if i read the charts right. If you really want to sew in mostly 207 i would look at a bigger bobbin machine. The second machine looks to be the same as a current production 1245 so shouldnt be too hard to sell. There is definately a few bucks more than you paid there, not sure it would add up to the new consew though.

Btw, the artisan listed above is a clone of the pfaff 335. It may help you searching about that machine to know this. Several on here use pfaff 335's for various things. There are a few posts on what it can and can't do. It is listed and recommended for thread up to 138.

Edited by TinkerTailor

I have a new Seiko STH-8BLD-3, which is the original, made-in-Japan Seiko version of the made-in-China Consew 206RB5. I'll trade my Seiko for your Pfaffs.

_MG_0300 copy.jpg

Edited by Uwe

On 2016-10-09 at 7:40 PM, steveleather said:

I decided to buy the artisan 335b

check it out

http://www.artisansew.com/pdf/specs/335BBrochureSheet.pdf

Thank you for this. I watched this video  very interesting!  thanks

On 2016-10-09 at 9:28 PM, Wizcrafts said:

For one thing, parts for the Consew are a lot cheaper than Pfaff parts.

As for using #207 thread, it's dependent on the setup of the hook and deflector to the scarf of the needle and the clearances along the thread path from the feed dog on down. You should try using #207 in the machine you just bought so you have a reference to compare the Consew to. I recommend using a #24 leather point needle for this.

Thank you for giving me such a good advice! 

On 2016-10-10 at 2:31 AM, TinkerTailor said:

Both of those machines have small bobbins, not going to get a whole bunch of thread on there in 207 size. They fit 50m in 45 tex if i read the charts right. If you really want to sew in mostly 207 i would look at a bigger bobbin machine. The second machine looks to be the same as a current production 1245 so shouldnt be too hard to sell. There is definately a few bucks more than you paid there, not sure it would add up to the new consew though.

Btw, the artisan listed above is a clone of the pfaff 335. It may help you searching about that machine to know this. Several on here use pfaff 335's for various things. There are a few posts on what it can and can't do. It is listed and recommended for thread up to 138.

yes, I agreed with you Thanks for your advice!!

On 2016-10-10 at 8:27 AM, Uwe said:

I have a new Seiko STH-8BLD-3, which is the original, made-in-Japan Seiko version of the made-in-China Consew 206RB5. I'll trade my Seiko for your Pfaffs.

_MG_0300 copy.jpg

your new sewing machine is nice but I checked some information about seiko. it says seiko has a limitation the choice of presser feet for leather.

1 hour ago, John Graham said:

your new sewing machine is nice but I checked some information about seiko. it says seiko has a limitation the choice of presser feet for leather.

Most other seikos are good machines, but they are definitely harder to find parts for and can be expensive. This one is different because it has been cloned.

His is a japanese made 206-rb5 and all the feet for that machine will fit the seiko. His machine is the original that the consew was copied from. It is like a 206-RB5+. Open up pictures of both side by side if you need confirmation.

Your original $350 bucks for the Seiko machine Uwe has is an amazingly great deal, only made possible by the horse trade department at leatherworker.net.

I would trade him if i was you.

Just now, TinkerTailor said:

Most other seikos are good machines, but they are definitely harder to find parts for and can be expensive. This one is different because it has been cloned.

His is a japanese made 206-rb5 and all the feet for that machine will fit the seiko. His machine is the original that the consew was copied from. It is like a 206-RB5+. Open up pictures of both side by side if you need confirmation.

Your original $350 bucks for the Seiko machine Uwe has is an amazingly great deal, only made possible by the horse trade department at leatherworker.net.

I would trade him if i was you.

I should also note that if you do it right there is no duty on importing industrial sewing machines into Canada. These machines are used to make things, The government wants to foster the Canadian clothing and textiles industry, so it makes the machines for use in that industry are duty free. If you are importing chinese machines into Canada for resale, or you import it for personal use, it would be 17%+ duty i think. This applies to other things as well, but to me it is not worth doing the legwork for purchases under 500 bux.

I agree with TT, that offer from Uwe is too good to pass up! Even with shipping costs you'd be getting an excellent machine at a bargain price, plus you know where it's coming from.

Personally, I thought the deal had probably been done but just no details posted.