craftsman827

CS Osborne #155 Revolving punch

I have a CS Osborne #155 Revolving punch.

One of the tube holes is stripped.

I want to re tap it so I can replace the tube.

Does anyone know what size the thread is, for the replacement tubes ?

This may be a hard one to answer !

I don't know much about a punch specifically, but normally if a hole is stripped you have to drill and tap it to the next larger size. Then use a larger bolt or drill and tap it even larger to screw a helicoil in to accept the original size.

I doubt you will find a tube in the next larger thread size. You may be able to find a helicoil that can work.

Good luck.

Try laying either a couple strips of thin solder, or aluminum foil, or brass shim stock, or strip cut from an aluminum soft drink can across the threads in the hole and carefully thread your punch tube into it.  Just snug it up. Don't be heavy handed and tighten too tight.  You only need to hold the tube from dropping out.  While punching, the mating surfaces are simply pressed tighter together.

Another option is to use Loctite.  There are several grades available, including a bearing retainer grade that doesn't form a permanent bond, so you can remove it at a later date if you need to replace the tube.  Most types will loosen if heated.

I used to service mechanical accounting machines a long time ago.  Lost a nut that held an eccentric adjustment in place.  Put some Loctite on an oversize nut and let it set.  Came back a week later with the right parts and fixed it right.  It had cycled through thousands of operations during the week and stayed in place in the correct position.  

Tom

Maybe you could try this: Since all of the tubes have the same size threads, remove a tube that you don’t often use and replace it with the tube whose hole has been damaged.

If i am correct, osborne uses an uncommon thread on their punch tubes, meaning a tap just does not exist. I have rebuilt threads with jb weld. Take a good punch tube , wipe it down with silicone grease(dielectric grease), Clean the threaded hole really well and then schmear a little jb weld into the hole and thread in the punch tube. With any luck you the silicone grease will not adhere to the jbweld, forming a release agent. This should allow you to spin the tube back out leaving repaired threads behind. If you only wait until the jbweld is 1/2 cured, the tube will come out easier. I have also tried Pam cooking spray and spray furniture wax/polish as release agents for jb weld and they also worked, though the oil not as well.

Thank you for all the suggestions. I combined a few , using an old tube, some lub, and a vice grip, I rethreaded using an old tube.

It works now ! Now I can use my new #6 tube I just received from S-T Leather.

Thanks to all.

All you need to do is order a new wheel from Osborne and a new set of punches.

Hello, FYI, I know this is an old thread but I’ve used a 7mm x 1 tap and die to make a hole punch sharpening adaptor for my Osborne #155 tubes, it’s out of brass and used in my drill press. 

833088CB-4407-4314-A7E6-3DE4B8B98016.jpeg

Edited by Lacire