Tacblades

Sam brown stud issue

I will be using some Sam Brown Studs which i really like. 

The problem i have is they have a screw back, so does that mean you have to have access to the back to be able tighten in the future if it ever gets loose,  or do you use some kind of thread lock liquid? 

Thanks

Put a drop of loctite on them or if you don't have loctite then a drop of any kind of glue would probably suffice.

If I am not going to be able to access them because I am burying the screw between layers then I put a fair helping of crazy glue on the threads before I put it together. I guess red thread locker would work as well but I wouldnt trust the blue for a forever hold.

Red loctite would be best but in a pinch, crazy glue or even nail polish would work

It is worth the effort to track down some loc tite. I have had the Crazy Glue fail a few times.  Loc tite, never.  

I have some loctite on the way :)

I am also trying  to make a design with acces to the stud back,  but its not a neat as hiding in the layers still working on it tho. 

I have been using my wife's discarded/no-longer-wanted nail polish for all my threaded applications for years.  Never a problem with them coming undone. Has the added advantage of the brush applicator and sunk cost.  BUT, there are Sam Browne studs with rivet backings.  I have some in both brass and chrome finishes.  I prefer them over the screw-backed ones, which I also have, but it takes a special anvil assembly to apply them correctly.

Loctite makes their thread locker in a chap stick type dispenser that eliminates drips......Very handy for leather hardware stuff......Nail polish, glue, liquid thread lock all will stain a veg tan project if a stray drop ends up there.

http://na.henkel-adhesives.com/loctite-sticks-6180.htm

1 hour ago, TinkerTailor said:

Loctite makes their thread locker in a chap stick type dispenser that eliminates drips......Very handy for leather hardware stuff......Nail polish, glue, liquid thread lock all will stain a veg tan project if a stray drop ends up there.

http://na.henkel-adhesives.com/loctite-sticks-6180.htm

That is very cool,  great idea. 

I have liquid on the way so thanks for the heads up will be extra careful of drips :)

I don't know of anything that won't despoil leather to one degree or another.  When I use fingernail polish, I apply a drop to the female thread end before putting the stud in thehole.  Then I add a bit onto the male thread ends and screw them together.  Has been working for me for years. Gotta be careful.

I prefer the Sam Brown studs with the rivet back as they have a profile that I like.  An old sharpeners trick is to put a tiny drop of superglue a couple of threads up from the tip of the screw and LET IT DRY.  After dry, screw it in and it will hold very well, but can be backed out with some effort.  Of course, if you don't care about disassembly, superglue is some great stuff.  I mean Loctite Professional Super Glue.

Art

I still have a handful of the studs that took a brass washer on the back and needed a special setter. I dont even see those offered anywhere anymore but if you set it right that sucker aint never going anywhere. Its a lot easier to just thread a screw but if it came down to "I never want this thing to come out" those that use the washer are the ultimate. Dont know what I am saving them for but I still have the setter.