silverkrown

What would you do with this machine?

I don't really know much about sewing machines especially industrial ones. I picked up this Pfaff sewing machine. The tag on the back of the machine says 483-944/07 900/51-BL. After doing some research on this site it looks like the machine is setup for a Teledyne AMCO variostop. I'm not really sure what that is or what it does? I'm assuming some kind of air assisted control. The table that came with the sewing machine doesn't have that system. It has a Rex clutch sewing motor mounted under the table. The sewing machine doesn't appear to fit on the table either. I'm guessing these are two different parts that don't go together. Can these machines be run just as a basic machine with the clutch motor even with the AMCO variostop stop stuff attached to the machine. I'm looking to to vinyl and light leather upholster with the machine. The motor still works when I plug it in. Would it work to just get a new table top and mount the sewing machine and connect it to the clutch motor? Or should I just sell all of it and try to pickup a nice walking foot? Just trying to figure out what to do with it. I've seen some of these that have the knee lift attachment. Is that something that can be added. Thanks for any help. Like I said I don't know much about these machines and haven't had much luck finding info online. 

IMG_5941_zps6jp6d6l7.jpg

IMG_5940_zpsdz0zoplp.jpg

IMG_5939_zpskuqrjb9j.jpg

IMG_5938_zpswponkzpp.jpg

IMG_5937_zpsam8y4jvu.jpg

IMG_5936_zpsp51nvjxb.jpg

Yes, that table is not for the Pfaff.  It looks like the table was set up for some kind of serger  or overcast machine.  In todays world, you would want to replace the clutch motor with a servo motor for better speed control.  The Pfaff 483 would sew light leather and vinyl. To make the machine work would require a new table top and motor.  I would look at buying a  walking foot machine , say a Consew 206 new because of the expense you would have to get this one up and running plus the 206 will sew heavier.  JMHO.

glenn

11 minutes ago, shoepatcher said:

Yes, that table is not for the Pfaff.  It looks like the table was set up for some kind of serger  or overcast machine.  In todays world, you would want to replace the clutch motor with a servo motor for better speed control.  The Pfaff 483 would sew light leather and vinyl. To make the machine work would require a new table top and motor.  I would look at buying a  walking foot machine , say a Consew 206 new because of the expense you would have to get this one up and running plus the 206 will sew heavier.  JMHO.

glenn

It actually looks like it has had several different machines mounted in it, judging by the holes in the table top and the repairs.

If you do go with this machine, and not a walking foot, Stand will totally be usable. You can use it for a walking foot as shoepatcher has sugested. Most times due to shipping buying just a head is cheaper., You can get a new top with the proper holes and cutout for your machine for 100-150 bucks Most likely easier and much less hassle than trying to cut and drill a table yourself, unless you already got a woodshop.

here: http://drdanessmh.com/klegstands.html 

and here:  http://www.atlaslevy.com/TABLE-TOP-FOR-INDUSTRIAL-SEWING-MACHINES--Walking-foot_p_104.html

Any of the machine suppliers advertising on this site will have decent pricing but most importantly service for the servo motor.

Edited by TinkerTailor