Does anyone know what the best leather sewing machine is for

-easy operating system for someone with arthritis 

-still classify myself as a beginner

- mostly sewing belts, purses, light horse tack ( bridles, breast collars, etc.)

-able to be shipped to Canada

-quality for price 

Thank you all in advance for your time and effort in this matter,

Christine

What part of Canada? Techsew is located in Quebec. Shipping is not cheap to the west coast. They have a variety of walking foot machines, most of them have foot pedals and big knobs on the hand controls. Belts, some tack, dog stuff, uphostery, most things really can be sewn on a flatbed machine. Depending on what type of purses and bags you are stitching you may want a cylinder arm to get into the tight spots. Call techsew and talk to them.

Hi Tinker! Thank you so much for answering my questions! For purses, I would love to try convert a cowboy boot. I have a lot that don't fit me anymore. I live near Calgary, so I imagine the shipping could be quite expensive. My only saving grace is that my ex-husband is a trucker and he might be able help out. Big knobs and a cylinder arm would be helpful! Are those the same ones that I see advertised in the Western Horseman? I will call them tomorrow.......Thank you for for your time!

Christine

55 minutes ago, Christine Dix said:

Hi Tinker! Thank you so much for answering my questions! For purses, I would love to try convert a cowboy boot. I have a lot that don't fit me anymore. I live near Calgary, so I imagine the shipping could be quite expensive. My only saving grace is that my ex-husband is a trucker and he might be able help out. Big knobs and a cylinder arm would be helpful! Are those the same ones that I see advertised in the Western Horseman? I will call them tomorrow.......Thank you for for your time!

Christine

Longview leather sells the Cobra machines, and has thread and needles for leather machines however i would recommend comparison shopping anything they sell. A relative of mine went in for a pack of needles for a small gift for me, and they cost  over 40 bux, way more than they are anywhere else.

Leightons in Delburne also deals in leather machines, and may be of some use. I will say, i did alot of phoning and comparing and ended up getting a machine shipped from the east. I am very mechanically inclined, and am able to diagnose machine stuff well. If you are not mechanically inclined, it may be a good idea to get close with a dealer near you in case you need the dreaded house call... Btw, there are a couple members on here from cowtown if you look around.

Hi Tinker, 

I was in Tandy's a couple of days ago and got talking to a gentleman about machines after we escaped a demo of "The  Boss". Honestly, I think I can get a good used one for $2300 that I doesn't involve me pulling on a handle for every single stitch! He mentioned Leighton's and said they have good machines for good prices. Mechanically inclined I am not.........

thank you for the information; everything helps 

Christine

I have a Cobra 4, purchased from Steve.  Great after sale service.  I knew NOTHING about sewing machines and his explanations when I would get stumped were a great help.  The machine sews great and I sew everything from wallets with 22 needle and 135 thread to lined breast collars of 16-18oz of leather with 25 and 277 thread with minimal adjusting.

I had a "BOSS" and got tired of the lever and other problems, parts breaking, that had to be sent back to the manufacture to be replaced. Aluminum gears that would break or strip. Needle guide that would break. and so on and so on. sold it, got most of my money back, bought the cobra from Steve and after some education and laughs, this thing is a piece of art itselt. love the out come and hope I sew enough to wear it out. Thats a lot of sewing.

The mach 3 machine on leightons site is basically the same machine as the cobra 4 or the techsew5100. They all run 3-4 thousand CAD minimum. They are all chinese clones of the juki441.  I have a 5100 and love it. I was just using it today for sewing a bag with multiple layers of leather, wool, and stitched on hardware both inside and out. Could not have done it on a flatbed. This is a heavy weight machine good for up to around an inch of leather and is a cylinder arm for clearance making bags and saddles and things. It may be way more machine than you need. If you are sewing mostly lighter weights under 1/2 inch thick and do not need the clearance of a cylinder arm, the list of models of walking foot flat bed grows a lot and the price comes down. A good flatbed and table should not cost more than 1500 bux outfitted with a servo and all.
Good leather machines used do not come up very often i have found, Alberta sold its leather industry off long ago and their remains but a few stalwarts...

As to flatbed machines, here are a few deals, the one with 4 juki 563 for 800 each sounds good.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-buy-sell-other/calgary/industrial-sewing-machines/1204248335?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-hobbies-craft/calgary/juki-industrial-sewing-machine/1210850890?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-business-industrial/edmonton/juki-lu-563-heavy-duty-walking-foot-leather-sewing-machine/1211963058?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-hobbies-craft/grande-prairie/heavy-duty-leather-sewing-machine/1212820241?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

The deal with the 4 machines could be old clapped out factory machines, but they may be a great deal. The second and third both look like very low use machines.

Here is a thread with info on the juki 563 and what it will do and wont:

http://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/30140-need-your-opinion-on-juki-lu-563/

Edited by TinkerTailor