GPaudler

Singer 114W103 Chainstitch Embroidery Machine

Are you crazy? Of course I'm not thinking of using it on leather. But I am now obsessed with this machine and thought that one of you might have one to sell.

I'd also consider a Consew 104 or a Cornely (many models, I don't know...) or even a Brand-X copy from Cheapistan. Condition unimportant.

Many thanks,

Gary

Considering their use on denim and canvas seems to be common, it probably would work for garment weight leathers. Stiff veg tan? If it works,  it may not for long.....

One thing to note on using non walking machines for leather, feeding can sometimes be hit and miss due to the leather not sliding well under foot. I imagine this is more of an issue with freehand style machines like this. They make adhesive teflon sheet for this purpose. You can stick it on the foot and the bed of the machine.

https://www.college-sewing.co.uk/store/TEF1-305-X-305-X-.50MM-MEDIUM-ADHSIVE-TEFLON-SHEET

This is an interesting read on vintage machine and making denim:

http://www.heddels.com/2015/02/vintage-sewing-machines-the-complete-guide/

Edited by TinkerTailor

I'm sure that you are right - most machines don't even breathe hard stitching garment weight leather - but I plan to use the 114 on fabric.

And thanks for the Heddels link, I love that stuff!

Gary

Edited by GPaudler

I have a new Consew Model MA-104-1T, which appears to be a very close relative of the Singer 114W103. Mine's a little little dusty from sitting in a warehouse for a few years. 

It's apparently the machine to use for decorative stitching on designer jeans, among other things.

Send me a PM if this one would suit you.  The only price references I found on this machine were a new one from Atlas Levi for $1,620 , and Cory Leif got his used machine on Ebay for $800 in 2013. 

IMG_6552.jpg

IMG_6553.jpg

IMG_6554.jpg

IMG_6555.jpg

Edited by Uwe

Uwe's Consew is a close copy of the singer 114 and would be perfect for me except I need to spend no more than about $500 for what is essentially an impulse and Uwe's machine is easily worth twice that or more. For my meager budget, I fully expect to make some repairs which, for me, is much of the fun. I can weld or machine as necessary.

Thanks Yeti, I'm in Summerland, between Santa Barbara and Ventura, California.

Also, I have one of the original Sailrite machines - the Brother TZ1-B652 - in excellent, virtually unused condition, in its original custom carrying case, that I'd be pleased to trade for the Singer 114W103, or similar.

Edited by GPaudler

On 18/10/2016 at 3:45 PM, GPaudler said:

Uwe's Consew is a close copy of the singer 114 and would be perfect for me except I need to spend no more than about $500 for what is essentially an impulse and Uwe's machine is easily worth twice that or more. For my meager budget, I fully expect to make some repairs which, for me, is much of the fun. I can weld or machine as necessary.

Thanks Yeti, I'm in Summerland, between Santa Barbara and Ventura, California.

Also, I have one of the original Sailrite machines - the Brother TZ1-B652 - in excellent, virtually unused condition, in its original custom carrying case, that I'd be pleased to trade for the Singer 114W103, or similar.

You can achieve the same thing using the Singer 20U class machines.

There are two positions for the knee bar - one lifts the foot and the other swings the needle bar for embroidery.

3 hours ago, Darren Brosowski said:

the Singer 20U class machines

I have an older blue Singer 20U machine that only has the linkage for raising the presser bar, and I have a blue Singer 20U33 that has both linkages.  I don’t know what model they added the second set of linkage for swinging the needle bar with your knee.  And for what it’s worth, I don’t actually know what my old 20U is, whether it’s just a “20U”, a 20U11, a 20U13, or something else.  It has a label on it that simply says “20U”.

CD in Oklahoma

Machine586_08.jpg

Isn't it still a lockstitch zigzag that sews in the direction of the feed dogs?

4 hours ago, GPaudler said:

Isn't it still a lockstitch zigzag that sews in the direction of the feed dogs?

It is still a lockstitch zig-zag machine but there is a special cover plate that replaces the three used for standard sewing.

I got my Consew 104 set up in a test stand and did some stitching earlier today. I made a demo video for somebody who's interested in buying the machine and wanted to see it work. I thought I might share the video here for general entertainment.

The machine is quite a different animal from what I've worked on before. I really don't see how a lockstitch machine like a Singer 20U can produce a stitch like that. I also think this Consew 104 would be quite capable of putting embroidery designs like monograms and swirly designs on garment weight leather. I'll try that out on Sunday.  

I have an Indian built version of this machine - brand new.

Hopefully I will get it to work properly one day.......

Thanks Uwe, I'm unreasonably obsessed with those machines, I wish that I could afford yours. I'm glad you got it up and running.

Halo @uwe, how was your experiment on garment weight leather on this machine? I stumble upon this thread when I search about chainstitch / moss emroidery

The latest dug on my father's warehouse, i found 2 of these buried under oil pans and dirt. I mean literally buried, I found it in the position 3/4 of the body buried underneath the ground. The other one looked worse with some parts missing. I think a new paint job is relevant that will go along nicely with the restoration process.

29woh2e.jpg

Interesting sewing machine, especially if it can do a monogram on light leather, can't wait

Edited by patria

On 10/16/2016 at 4:26 PM, Uwe said:

DO YOU STILL HAVE THIS???

I have a new Consew Model MA-104-1T, which appears to be a very close relative of the Singer 114W103. Mine's a little little dusty from sitting in a warehouse for a few years. 

It's apparently the machine to use for decorative stitching on designer jeans, among other things.

Send me a PM if this one would suit you.  The only price references I found on this machine were a new one from Atlas Levi for $1,620 , and Cory Leif got his used machine on Ebay for $800 in 2013. 

IMG_6552.jpg

IMG_6553.jpg

IMG_6554.jpg

IMG_6555.jpg

Quick story before I get to some work here.  

We had a customer from Guatemala who came in, asked for a rebuilt Singer 20U (Japanese made, one of the good ones).  He was specific that the knee presser worked with the zig zag bight or width as stated, and that we setup the machine to very very fast for this model.  I really didn't know if he was a serious customer or if he even knew what he was doing.  I was busy and didn't feel like setting up a machine specific for someone who was not a serious buyer.

Boy was I wrong.  When he came in to test the machine setup as we had it, I was still very skeptical.  Until he sat down and started sewing.  He produced this beautiful two color embroidery by hand without even a hoop.  Clearly in under one minute.

I still show this to people, and use it as an example of how not to ever underestimate what someone can do.

***I was reading through, Singer 20U has an embroidery plate where you remove the feed dog and presser foot.  Many of these Singer 20U models and aftermarket machine came with these as an accessory.

20U-sewn-sample.jpg

Singer20Uembrodiery.jpg

Edited by Gregg From Keystone Sewing

Thanks for the story and plate info, Gregg! One of these days I'll try setting up my 20U with this. Sadly I bought a new one before I knew any better. Maybe some day I'll get one of those sexy blue ones. :) Hey, the hook was still made in Japan!

Anyway, for people looking for more info on the Singer 114w103, Consew 104, and any other Cornely or bonnaz embroidery machine, there's now a real nice Facebook group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/WQW.AMC/?fref=mentions

It is a closed group, but you don't have to own a machine to get in. Sometimes members post machines for sale.

:)

@westernatelier Sorry, that Consew 104 sold over a year ago.