LeatherWorthy

Military Veterans and Tandy Leather

So I was prowling the bowels of reddit (they have a leathercraft section as well), and I stumbled across a possible deal for current or prior service US Military. Apparently, starting November 1st 2016, If you are or were US Military, you will be eligible for their Elite membership or Elite prices. The employee said that the criteria for your eligibility will be coming in the November sales flyer. I have posted the link to the original below. I may have to call tandy on monday to either confirm or deny this. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/Leathercraft/comments/57m1rb/just_a_heads_up_from_a_tandy_employee_for_any/#bottom-comments

That's great news. Thanks for your service.

Thank you! I usually dont go out and ask for military discounts or anything of the like, but thats a huge discount that I cant pass up. The closest one is about an hour and a half from me in Columbia, SC, and I like driving up there when I am selecting my leather, so I may actually pick up a couple of other things from them now. 

that's new.  they never used to give military discounts.  But now that thompson is out and a more human crew is running the joint,

it's good to see it. 

Why don't they offer a discount for first responders as well? Seems like police and firefighters deserve equal consideration.

52 minutes ago, Ed in Tx said:

Why don't they offer a discount for first responders as well? Seems like police and firefighters deserve equal consideration.

I would say they see police and firefighters as not having any where near the danger of their respective assignments.

At least that would be my call on it, . . . but mebbe if someone hollered at em, . . . they may change their minds.

May God bless,

Dwight

I can understand where Dwight is coming from, they all serve or have served but in different capacities.  Cops do put their lives on the line everyday in all communities especially in todays environment, firemen well and I do know or have known both in big cities Los Angeles.  When another fireman calls off for an extra day his fellow coworker gets overtime to the tune of big dollars, a cop that I did my Bachelors and Masters with is making to the tune of 250,000.00 grand a year not bad for a motor cop in Culver City or down town L. A.   But an E4 or 5 until you put in over 20 and are a commissioned officer, that is my take anyway!

8 hours ago, Ed in Tx said:

I personally think they should offer at least some sort of discount to ALL first responders. I was a FF/EMT  before I joined the military, so I know the sacrifices. My brother in law is a cop. It would be nice to see a discount for risky public services, whether it be FF, EMT, LEO, RA, AR, NG, ANG, etc. Maybe us calling them and telling them that would resound on the back boards. I actually already have a gold membership, and if I could, I would extend it to all of the public servants that shop there. 

it cant hurt to try the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

22 hours ago, Dwight said:

I would say they see police and firefighters as not having any where near the danger of their respective assignments.

At least that would be my call on it, . . . but mebbe if someone hollered at em, . . . they may change their minds.

May God bless,

Dwight

Dwight, Just remember to tell that to the paramedic that responds to some incident you or a family member might have in the future. You obviously have no clue.

Why don't you respond to a traffic incident on a very busy highway where peoples lives are in danger. Dumb ass drivers don't have enough common sense to slow down and give them a wide berth so they can do their jobs. The drivers would rather take a picture with their cell phone so they can text it to some other idiot.

As far as police officers go, despite what you might think or see on some prime time tv show, they do indeed face unknown risks every day. Maybe you should respond to an alarm at 3:00 a.m. where there was  a break in not knowing if the perp is still in there armed and waiting. Respond to a family disturbance when someone is armed and threatening everyone. Or maybe talk to the families of the Dallas police officers who were shot by some wacko at a "protest".

First responders deserve the same respect as members of the military. Their chosen profession is for their entire career not just 4 years. 

I am not going to dispute any of your points, but you did make one good point, they chose to do that everyday and assume the risk that goes with it?  But does that mean for all the hours that they don't do anything but ride around in a nice car, at tax payers expense, justify a discount farther than the free donuts and drinks that they should pay any less at any other place of business?  Like I said I am agreeing with you on one point but disagree on others, Police and fireman sign up for the great pay and the risk that they might take from day to day, but todays military is all volunteer and sign on the dotted lined to defend our country from all evils both foreign and domestic for far lessor pay.  And however we are finding that there are a great deal many bad on the local forces that only know what they are taught at the academy, and that they are always right, and everyone is always guilty,  and jump to take the rights,  that the Sailor or Solder would fight to keep. 

And we could go on and on and this could get fugly ugly, but as you can see I do see it from your perspective slightly but see it from military point being a vet.  Now it is your turn, but just call tandy and complain so that you can get the discount so that you will still pay more that the other distributors because they don't give a hoot about you, me or the next guy they just want the profits off of imported leather.  

6 hours ago, Ed in Tx said:

First responders deserve the same respect as members of the military. Their chosen profession is for their entire career not just 4 years. 

That is your opinion, . . . I respect your opinion, . . . but no first responder and no LE in the US has EVER been caught up in a Tet 1968 scenario, . . . Khe San, . . . Heartbreak Ridge, . . . and not one of them have a clue, . . . including you, . . . what it was like to hit the beach on Guadalcanal, inchon, or Omaha Beach.

Next time you want to feel sorry for the "oh so hard" life EMT's or LE live compared to the military, . . . go spend a day in a military hospital, . . . see the vets, . . . let them tell you about how they only lost their legs and one arm, . . . 5 of their 6 buddies came home in body bags.

No, . . . you are the one who is clueless, . . . as well as ignorant.

May God bless,

Dwight

I like what ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ he said nuf said.

everyone needs a leg up sometime. don't abuse the privilege and you're welcome to take advantage. once you get back on your feet, help someone else get there.

I volunteered during the vietnam campaign for the marines. it was rough enough, but that's gone, and I'm still here. neither a borrower nor a lender be

back to the main topic; i think i read that discount is to all vets, no questions asked. and i'll email to find out.

On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 7:45 PM, OLDNSLOW said:

Cops do put their lives on the line everyday...

No disrespect to law enforcement and EMS, but....

Police and EMS go home to their family every night, and can quit their job at any time.

Comparing law enforcement or EMS to military service shows a significant lack of knowledge and appreciation for what it is like to service at the pointy end of the spear.

Edited by Harry Marinakis

I too respect the job that law enforcement and EMS do and they do put themselves out there every day.  However, Harry is right when it comes to the comparison and how improper it is to put us all in the same category.  I spent 24 years of my life on Active Duty as a combat operator in the U.S. Army with 18 of those years being away from my immediate family and 10 of those years away from my wife more than 90% of that time.  I served from 1981 to 2006 and EVERYTHING that popped off around the globe I was sent to with multiple trips to the majority of them.  I would do it all again if I could go back do so but for anyone to say that my service, or that of my fellow operators, is equivalent to that of law enforcement, EMS, or anything else here on the outside is just plain ridiculous and shows how uninformed and inexperienced in the real world some are.  We all put ourselves out there in a different fashion and we do so willingly but we aren't all on the same ground.  I have left blood and flesh of my own on some of the other countries around the world yet I still stayed in that line of business; show me anyone on the outside in a lower level role that has done the same and would still put everything into it on a daily basis while being separated for months on end from their loved ones.  All the respect in the world for the rest of you but we are not the same or even close to equal.

Another perspective....

I'll be the the first in line to thank any and all 1st-responders and to tell them how much I appreciate their continued efforts and sacrifices. BUT the reality is there really is no comparison. I'st responders are not routinely separated from their families and loved ones for YEARS thru their time of service. Ist-responder's families are NOT routinely forced to pick -up and move dozens of times thru the years, (forced to live in sub-standard housing... With the spouse suddenly ALONE and responsible for every facet of hers ( and her children's welfare). And this is just the tip of the iceberg for a veteran's family. 

Ron 

Retired Vietnam veteran (23 yrs)

I was shocked when I seen the post of Tandy. I was in the Navy for about 13 years and went and applied as was approved this is a awesome deal as I was always paying for the Gold membership.

On 23.10.2016 at 5:42 PM, Harry Marinakis said:

No disrespect to law enforcement and EMS, but....

Police and EMS go home to their family every night, and can quit their job at any time.

Comparing law enforcement or EMS to military service shows a significant lack of knowledge and appreciation for what it is like to service at the pointy end of the spear.

Don't you think that this is a too vague look at it? Does it matter if they go home to their family at night? Hey honey how was your day? Not bad, survived and shot two drug dealers on the go... or wasn't that good at all, we were busting a drug lab and I didn't know shit about what to expect on site...

Do you really think it's less stressful collecting body pieces when arriving at a scene?

Or where's the difference between a FF in the military to a regular FF. Talk to a smoke jumper and tell him his job is not as important and dangerous as the one of soldier.

Talk to the paramedic who got stabbed and put into a wheelchair for no reason while helping a drunk person.

So in your own words ..."shows a significant lack of knowledge and appreciation for what it is like to service at the pointy end of the spear."

With all due respect to the people which are serving or have served, it's very much appreciated.

On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 1:07 PM, Thor said:

Does it matter if they go home to their family at night?

Yes it matters.

Edited by Harry Marinakis

or maybe because they can quit anytime and at least around here get paid a fair wage. 

I know many LEO, I was POST certified myself, we have many LEO in my family. However being in the Marine Corps meant having no say whatsoever during your enlistment. They could work us all day all night for weeks straight, we barely got paid anything, we couldnt quit, sometimes we didnt see family for 6 months or a year.  The sacrifice is not the same. LEO and Firefighters do a nobel job. But, its still a good paying job, with standard hours even though they maybe nights or weekends, and they can quit any time. I know I already said that, but is a very very big thing.

Here you can go to a community college POST academy and 6 months after starting you can be making $45-50k a year.  As a Marine with less than a year in you will make around $19,000 before deductions.  Yes we volunteered for it, but you cant change your mind and they own you.  Its not the same.

being an LEO isnt as dangerous as the hype either. ( i still dont want anyone hurt)  there are over 600,000 sworn officers in the US. We lose less than 180 a year on the job.  Less than 60 of those are by getting shot.  I hope we never lose another one, but its still not the same.

Edited by HBAR

20 minutes ago, Harry Marinakis said:

Yes it matters.

You very obviously have no idea what you are talking about. There are quite a few units which don't come home for weeks if not months. Make yourself familiar with the diversity of law enforcement units and various other first responder units before stating such poor stuff. This is very disrespectful to the people putting their lives at risk for people like you. 

4 minutes ago, HBAR said:

or maybe because they can quit anytime and at least around here get paid a fair wage. 

I know many LEO, I was POST certified myself, we have many LEO in my family. However being in the Marine Corps meant having no say whatsoever during your enlistment. They could work us all day all night for weeks straight, we barely got paid anything, we couldnt quit, sometimes we didnt see family for 6 months or a year.  The sacrifice is not the same. LEO and Firefighters do a nobel job. But, its still a good paying job, with standard hours even though they maybe nights or weekends, and they can quit any time. I know I already said that, but is a very very big thing.

Here you can go to a community college POST academy and 6 months after starting you can be making $45-50k a year.  As a Marine with less than a year in you will make around $19,000 before deductions.  Yes we volunteered for it, but you cant change your mind and they own you.  Its not the same.

Many LEOs served in the forces prior their LEO career. And as you stated it is a free choice. It's no secret what's happening there after enrollment. Very few people are choosing a lifetime as soldier, but usually most people enrolling for a career as LEO plan to do this their whole career. Yes, they can quit any time, but most don't as it is more than just a profession it's what they are. Dedicated to serve. Obviously there are others as well.

Just now, Thor said:

most don't as it is more than just a profession it's what they are. Dedicated to serve. Obviously there are others as well.

I agree.

38 minutes ago, Thor said:

Many LEOs served in the forces prior their LEO career. And as you stated it is a free choice. It's no secret what's happening there after enrollment. Very few people are choosing a lifetime as soldier, but usually most people enrolling for a career as LEO plan to do this their whole career. Yes, they can quit any time, but most don't as it is more than just a profession it's what they are. Dedicated to serve. Obviously there are others as well.

Who exactly is debatable. 

This is one of those arguments that noone is going to win. Everyone will have there opinion on how much they suffered or were inconvenienced. Tandy offered a "discount" to veterans, not that they care about them or anything. Just goes to show how much they can sell stuff at without taking a loss. Also they probably assume its a good way to get a few extra customers. 

I know in my experience it wasnt near the same and that was coming from those LEOs who served previously. Most were very happy with the PAY, LESS hours, Power, Better conditions then they had previously had while in the armed services. Ofcourse there is going to be location issues as well, the guy patrolling the border of Canada as compared to the guy patrolling the streets of orange county are going to have varying views on how it is.