Hello all,

I'm newbie here and in leather world, I need help for all mastery here :) how to setting/installing round head button stud ? I'm looking on internet, but I haven't found what tools to make a hole for button stud ? because the hole for this button is different. It's not just hole but like there is a line hole or in the others I saw there is another small hole above the line.

Like this o---O

Thank you guys !

675937735_o.jpg

11386418_415481011989391_1058282109_n.jpg

Moved to 'how do I do that'.

Punch two holes, cut the slit between with a sharp knife.  Or buy a special punch from Tandy or other supplier.

Tom

4 hours ago, aphinxwu said:

Hello all,

I'm newbie here and in leather world, I need help for all mastery here :) how to setting/installing round head button stud ? I'm looking on internet, but I haven't found what tools to make a hole for button stud ? because the hole for this button is different. It's not just hole but like there is a line hole or in the others I saw there is another small hole above the line.

Like this o---O

Thank you guys !

After you punch the two holes you can use a small wood chisel to cut the slit. 

There are two types of punch to make Sam Browne stud/button holes.  

The round SB Round.png and the 'pippin' Pippin.png.

If you're only ever going to do a few then they are expensive and the hole punch with chisel method is fine.  If you're doing many then a purpose-made punch makes sense.

Edited by gary

Just so everyone is aware, the proper way to size the punch is to have the hole big enough for the shaft of the stud only. Not the head, just the shaft... The slit is just there to allow the head to pass. You want the direction of pull away from the slot, not towards.

I also use them with a slightly oversized hole and no slot this way:

IMG_0296.JPG

It is basically 4 studs with a keeper before and after. It allows adjustment very easily and is way lighter than a buckle. That is 8 oz veg strap, stitching is purely decorative. Here is the backside:

IMG_0297.JPG

And here is the strap adjusted 4" longer. You just lift it off the studs, slide it and push it back down. Strap tension and the keepers keep it down on the studs. All the holes for the studs and keepers are the same pattern so the pieces can be moved around for different uses. This is my personal carry bag.

IMG_0298.JPG

I'm going to post a whole thread on this bag It will start with some construction, and new bag photos,. Then will be the photos of the bag after 365 days of abuse using it as a daily cycling commuter bag in the rain of vancouver, on a bike with no fenders. Ill even go get it wet and dirty to prove it. Stay tuned.

Woah, thank you very much to all who respond my question, I'm sorry to get in the wrong sub forum. Now I know how the tool is look alike :D I'm gonna use : punch two holes and cutting it. I dont understand how using chisel to make the line :D 

Thank you all :)

There really is only one hole needed. Sometimes makers will put a second small hole at the end of the slit to clean it up and keep it from tearing. The second one is not necessary. All you do is punch a round hole and then cut the slot with a knife or straight chisel (like a wood chisel). The chisel is nice because you can mark the blade with a sharpie to get all the slots the same length and get the line really straight.  Pro tip: use a modeller to make a groove in the leather where the slot part will be and then cut in the bottom of the groove. It helps round the edges into the slot kinda like how a punch rounds over the edge because of the bevel and makes it look neater after.

Look up "buttonhole leather punch" on amazon, craftool. They are listed with an image that shows which hole size works for which stud, and approx how long the slot should be.

Every time I post a tandy or amazon link on here it messes up because we have stupid redirects to canadian sites....

Tinker Tailor said:  "Look up "buttonhole leather punch" on amazon, craftool. They are listed with an image that shows which hole size works for which stud, and approx how long the slot should be. "

Man I wish that were true.  I have found no place that tells which size punch to use for which size stud.  I finally just sat down at my bench, installed a stud on one piece of scrap and began punching buttonholes until I found one that fit.  Want to know what the result was?  Well, I found that I don't have a 1/4" round punch, and that is probably the size I will need for the 3/8" studs I am trying to use.  I thought I had a 1/4" punch, but it turned out to be an oblong punch and I need a round one.

Tandy lists which button-hole punch to use with each of their SB studs, As you choose each size of punch the spiel in the box at the bottom changes to tell you what size stud to use

https://www.tandyleather.eu/en/product/buttonhole-punches

But I have S/B studs from several different makers and although they are nominally the same size they actually need a different size hole for the centre post