HannahT

Bowden saddle kit

I'm getting ready to start on my first saddle. Has anybody used any of the saddle kits that Bowden offers? My first thought, knowing the kind of materials that usually come with leather kits, was that it would be horrible. But the description says it includes Hermann Oak, I think #1 or #2, plus latigo, strainer plate, stirrups, and lots of other stuff. Some of the kits include a tree. They cost $1150, which doesn't sound too far off (if it was $600, I'd be worried). I know Bowden isn't Rick Reed or any of those tree makers by any means, but for a first saddle, would this be a good place to start? I'm not looking for a show piece--I'm expecting plenty of mistakes. I can send drawings of my horses' backs to them and have the tree fitted to that type of horse, and the kit with the tree allows you to choose the type you want (I'm considering a Ray Hunt wade).

Hannah,

I forgot to add a 13 sq ft golden fleece to the materials list. Probably other things that I forgot, but I'll add them over time as I think about it.

Hannah,

I have not used the kit, but I think you will need three sides to account for the learning curve on a first saddle. I would also make sure the hardware with the kit matches with the saddle you want to build. I also suggest determining the source of the patterns. They may not match what you want to build, thus you will end up drawing your own patterns anyway.

Randy

I believe the patterns are from Dusty Johnson.  But I could be wrong.