nstarleather

New Field Notes Cover Prototypes- Input Please

Just worked up these two samples.  I don't actually have the notebooks for photos yet but they are on the way.

Let me know what you think.

closed.jpg

Austin Pecan.jpg

FullSizeRender (1).jpg

Well they look great. I hope you sell a million of them.

Hope it's less than a million... My dad always says:  One Million is 1,000 per day for 1,000 days.  Can you imagine making 1,000 of any item every day for 3 years?  Yikes!   That is a lot of anything!

Well, that's why some aim to sell less for more. Quality n stuff. Rather one for 1000, then I wouldn't mind doing that every day for 1000 days...

If I had call for that, I might make 1000 of those right quick.  I mean, I wouldn't want to do that simple stuff ALL the time, but realistically, a guy got what.... $150-200 invested in clicker dies, $10 in materials, and 30 minutes (if you have a coffee cup in one hand).  Oh, and $1 if you include the pen ;)

It looks like it might be a little tight in the middle.. maybe want a tad more room between the sides once there are things in it.  1/2" would likely help. :dunno:

I could do 1000 no problem, that's a quantity that's in my wheel house.  Using dies I already own for my passport case (and pockets from a bifold)  I'm thinking of either stretching the front to wider or making the "right" pocket narrower.  

Would making on pocket narrower than the other, it might not really fold in the middle?

9 minutes ago, nstarleather said:

I could do 1000 no problem, that's a quantity that's in my wheel house.  Using dies I already own for my passport case (and pockets from a bifold)  I'm thinking of either stretching the front to wider or making the "right" pocket narrower.  

Would making on pocket narrower than the other, it might not really fold in the middle?

Quit being such a cheapskate. If you are making 1000, get a proper clicker die made......It works out to 10-20 cents per unit.    Jeepers......:asoapbox:

59 minutes ago, TinkerTailor said:

Quit being such a cheapskate. If you are making 1000, get a proper clicker die made......It works out to 10-20 cents per unit.    Jeepers......:asoapbox:

Not there yet... I'm a long way even from 1000 of the passport case which was 3 dies to make.  

I'd get a die made for just 100 but my retail site is slow and steady, if one of my wholesale accounts bites I'll go for it.

Edited by nstarleather

they look good, and if you perfect them, they'll sell slow but sure. one at a time, or by bulk for the right price.

it's all about price set against quality, mix and match to create your next production unit.

when I made protos I made at least 20 units and gave them away to people I knew.
then I asked them all what to improve.

and guess what? i got all the answers i needed. the only problem was; my testers didn't have the same leather worker language, and it needed to be interpreted.

afterwards i put the drawings into production, and sold it.

i wonder how this wallet, and your choice of leathers, would look with hand stitched seams? or a weaved outer edge? all of those would sell to the right buyers. maybe a mixed up color scheme and add a paper pad so you know where to get them. get a pen with your company name on it, of course.

and if you need to produce a million, that's simple too; hire some other stitchers!

Edited by WWolf
remembered to praise the poster!

Yeah we don't hand-sew anything...but 'm sure it would look better.  We tend to be on the "low" end of things especially wholesale.   I've added some higher end stuff to the retail but most of the "extras" are hard to get paid for, people who can buy our $25 wallets may not understand the extra costs of the same design that's been stitched and burnished by hand....

13 hours ago, nstarleather said:

Yeah we don't hand-sew anything...but 'm sure it would look better.  We tend to be on the "low" end of things especially wholesale.   I've added some higher end stuff to the retail but most of the "extras" are hard to get paid for, people who can buy our $25 wallets may not understand the extra costs of the same design that's been stitched and burnished by hand....

Yeah doing things by hand is costly which in this day and age of I want what I want right now people just do not want to see the value in it and if they do it's still a pain to get the price right

18 hours ago, nstarleather said:

Just my opinion , I think the centre with the pad will be way to tight with the pen as well - I would put the double sheath pen holder idea to the outside and maybe add in another card pocket if that doesn't upset the knifing cost too much. Moving the right pocket over will make this type of construction sit poorly. Pen to outside should mean centre gap would work as is. For some people on here, there may be a market in supplying unstitched or even unassembled.