faceOdd

Tips for working with horse hair?

Hello Mask Makers!

I recently had a commission for a Baphomet with a horse hair beard. Although the customer was happy, I'm not excited about the beard. Any tips for making horse hair 'goatees'?

Thank you!

Tamara

faceOdd Wearable Art Masks

IMG_2013.JPG

First, this is really well done and I like it alot. Now, the constructive criticism you asked for. No punches pulled:

I think part of the issue is the underset jawline, lack of a chin and the prominent nose causes the goatee to look like nose hair at first glance. Then once you notice it is not, it kinda looks tagged on. It is also a little thin.  In my opinion, the mask is awesome enough without the goatee, however an articulated lower jaw would male the goatee awesome.

As to future goatees, more hair. You could also hide a core of something else inside the strands the braided portions to thicken it up. Also, a more prominent chin top make the goatee make sense.

On this mask, a few straggly strands here and there on the cheeks and chin would help with the effect. Just small awl holes with a strand or 3 stuck in em.

Now, here is a smoke machine that is battery powered, remote controlled and is smaller than an iphone4....https://www.bloodystuff.co.uk/products/micro-profogger/     Now I'm sure you can figure out what to do with one of these........

Wow, thank you! I was so focused on my 3D horns, which I'm really happy with, and so frustrated with how unruly horse hair is, that I paid little attention to the jaw.   I have one like this to ship out tomorrow, and then I'll redesign a bit.

That mini fog machine would be great with a Dragon mask!

Tamara

No prob. Try using conditioner on the hair before working on it. Some humans use Mane and Tail horse shampoo to control their own hair.....