Dorado

Prefered Holster for 1911

On 12/23/2016 at 5:13 PM, gregintenn said:

I can give you a bit of advice. Lay your handgun on a sheet of posterboard or a file folder and trace it's figure with a pencil. Then, draw the holster around it, allowing enough extra room for the gun's width. Cut it out, lay it over your leather and trace it. Voila, you've made your own pattern.

Hope this helps and Merry Christmas,

Greg

I've tried that. I always end up making it too tight. Once I get better at making standard patterns I'll give making my own pattern a shot again. I'm still not good enough in basic leatherworking to do more advanced things. I'll get to where I can make any design holster for whatever gun I want, eventually. I just need more practice.

Sounds like you are on the right track.

I always take a measurement from a belt lately worn by the customer, . . . measure from the front of the buckle to the most used hole.  I then make that measurement the center hole of 7 that I punch in the belt.  I punch em 1 inch apart and use an oval punch.  It gives the owner 3 full inches of pizza to gain, . . . or fat to lose, . . . 

So far this has been a good way to process my customer's belts.  Only had one guy who thought the spacing was a bit long, . . . but he is the kind of guy that would have wanted you to polish the solid gold car you just gave him for free.

Wish I could help you with the thread, . . . that is why I always use white for all the belts, . . . then when the belt is dyed, . . . the thread will be too, . . . and i don't have to stock umpteen different spools of thread.

Don't forget to post pics when they are all done.

May God bless,

Dwight

That's what I get for not double checking my thread supplies.

I've ordered some more thread as well as a belt buckle. Once I get the buckle in I'll mark the center hole and punch out from there. Luckily I have a good oval punch. I got it when I made my CAS rig and it fits me near perfectly. I like to space my holes a bit differently. Instead of 1" apart I go with 3/4". Not much change but it allows me some finer adjustments according to what I'm wearing.

My first holster was for my full size 1911. It was a flat back pancake style much like yours. I designed the pattern myself in the holster making class I took at my local Tandy. That class is what really kicked off my hobby.

Yours looks good for a first attempt. As pointed out, there is still much room for improvement, but you're on the right track. For thread, try out the 1.0 mm Tiger thread. I think it works great for holster weight leather & stitch length. 

My biggest suggestion would be to put effort into your edges. The squared edges seem to dig into everything, especially your side. They also tend to fray and fluff out very quickly. Putting a good bevel and burnish on those will make them more comfortable and will let them look good longer.

Edited by byggyns

Hi, I always had a lot of trouble with either Kidney or Appendix carry in the car.  I had a 2007 Subaru and I couldn't have shot a car jacker on a bet.  With a Kidney Carry, the 1911 was behind the seat belt and between me and the seat.  I also have just enough gut to make Appendix carry annoying.  I ended up with a Shoulder holster for in the car.  I also swapped to a itty bitty Beretta for carrying in a pocket.

Just my $0.02

On 1/10/2017 at 9:59 AM, byggyns said:

My first holster was for my full size 1911. It was a flat back pancake style much like yours. I designed the pattern myself in the holster making class I took at my local Tandy. That class is what really kicked off my hobby.

Yours looks good for a first attempt. As pointed out, there is still much room for improvement, but you're on the right track. For thread, try out the 1.0 mm Tiger thread. I think it works great for holster weight leather & stitch length. 

My biggest suggestion would be to put effort into your edges. The squared edges seem to dig into everything, especially your side. They also tend to fray and fluff out very quickly. Putting a good bevel and burnish on those will make them more comfortable and will let them look good longer.

The edges are beveled. I don't have much of a beveler but it is just enough to make it comfortable to wear. I've been wearing it with my finished belt for the past week. I do need an edge slicker though. I've been using Gum Tragacanth and the handle of my mallet. Works well enough, but I'd like to get something I can chuck into my drill press. I've read somewhere that Beeswax gives a nice clean edge. I'd like to try that sometime and see how that turns out.

On 1/15/2017 at 10:21 PM, 1961Mike said:

Hi, I always had a lot of trouble with either Kidney or Appendix carry in the car.  I had a 2007 Subaru and I couldn't have shot a car jacker on a bet.  With a Kidney Carry, the 1911 was behind the seat belt and between me and the seat.  I also have just enough gut to make Appendix carry annoying.  I ended up with a Shoulder holster for in the car.  I also swapped to a itty bitty Beretta for carrying in a pocket.

Just my $0.02

I do have a bit of a problem getting to my gun while seated with this holster but it's doable. It's almost easier for me to just put the gun in my center console while driving and holster it when I get out. Since I'm in Texas I do have legal protection if anyone sees me holster it. Then again, where I live, no one cares.

Dwight's comments about shoulder holsters are pretty much the same as what I have been telling my customers.  Hollywood has done a great job of convincing folks that shoulder holsters are really cool, but my experience with them is just the opposite.  I was an Alaska State Trooper for 22 years and, like most guys who had to wear a gun on a daily basis, I have a whole drawer full of holsters I bought, tried, and didn't like.  The shoulder holsters are in that drawer.

I've met a few guys who really like shoulder holsters and wear them daily for CCW purposes.  But, I'm convinced those guys are the exceptions rather than the norms. 

The other reason I'm not a fan of shoulder holsters is that I believe you should carry your CCW gun in the same position every time.  In a stress situation you will automatically revert to whatever holster position you've used the most.  If you usually carry your gun on your hip, you're going to reach for your hip when under extreme stress.  When the chips are down and you really need your gun you don't want to find out it's not where you thought it was.