craftsman827

Waxed Thread from China

I just received  waxed thread I purchased from e-bay from China.

It took about 3 weeks to get it, but for $ 3.79 & No Shipping charge.

The thread is very good.  May not be as good a Tiger thread, But for the price, you can't go wrong !

Has anyone here used this thread ?  I'm stitching a flashlight case, it looks very nice.

I will post a photo when I finish it.

waxed thread from China.JPG

Edited by craftsman827

Is it flat braid? Please post a link, it does look interesting.

Edited by TheModifier

It's not as nice as tiger thread.  Not nearly as heavily waxed and not as plump as tiger.  Closer to .8mm than to 1.0mm.  For all that, you can afford to have a full spectrum of colors for around the same price as a single roll of tiger.  All in all, it's not bad! 

Bill

@craftsman827: have you ever considered using the waxed braided poly-chord from Maine Thread Company?  They aren't too far from your location, the product is equivalent (or better) than Tiger (which I really love by the way) and it doesn't cost as much as Tiger.  It does cost more than what you have paid but the quality is far better and they actually make the threads/cords right there; nothing foreign made about it.  And they have one hell of a color scheme as well.

On 10/21/2016 at 5:42 PM, TheModifier said:

Is it flat braid? Please post a link, it does look interesting.

Yes it is flat braid !flat waxed thread.

Edited by craftsman827

On 10/22/2016 at 8:54 AM, NVLeatherWorx said:

@craftsman827: have you ever considered using the waxed braided poly-chord from Maine Thread Company?  They aren't too far from your location, the product is equivalent (or better) than Tiger (which I really love by the way) and it doesn't cost as much as Tiger.  It does cost more than what you have paid but the quality is far better and they actually make the threads/cords right there; nothing foreign made about it.  And they have one hell of a color scheme as well.

On 10/22/2016 at 8:54 AM, NVLeatherWorx said:

26 minutes ago, craftsman827 said:

Yes it is flat braid !

I just checked my thread draw. I have purchased from Maine thread Co.  I didn't like the color. I asked for red, they sent me Wine color ! I would purchase from Maine thread again.

Edited by craftsman827

On 10/21/2016 at 7:51 PM, billybopp said:

It's not as nice as tiger thread.  Not nearly as heavily waxed and not as plump as tiger.  Closer to .8mm than to 1.0mm.  For all that, you can afford to have a full spectrum of colors for around the same price as a single roll of tiger.  All in all, it's not bad! 

Bill

I never used tiger thread. For the money $ 3.75 a full spool, 260 m. it's " not bad".  I'm sure tiger is better quality ,but how much $ is tiger thread ?

Edited by craftsman827

I just checked the price of tiger thread. It's $ 6.95 for there 1.0mm X 25 m length.

The thread I purchased is 260 m long, that's over 10 times the amount !

I know tiger thread is better, Not 10 X better !

Just my observation, & I try always to use the best material in my leather work.

I just think it's over priced.

On 10/21/2016 at 7:51 PM, billybopp said:

Bill

I agree with you Bill, although I have never tried Tiger Thread, & there is a lot of hype about it.

This thread from China, & I like to buy US made stuff ain't that bad when you consider you get 10 times the amount, for 1/2 the price !

I have tried 3-4 of the flat braided waxed polyester threads available on Amazon. All of them are quite nice, especially considering the price. From what I've seen you are limited to 0.8 and 1.0mm thread (unlike Tiger thread) but for general purposes it works quite well. Outside of very fine stitching I think it would do the trick for most people.

On 10/25/2016 at 8:44 PM, johnv474 said:

I have tried 3-4 of the flat braided waxed polyester threads available on Amazon. All of them are quite nice, especially considering the price. From what I've seen you are limited to 0.8 and 1.0mm thread (unlike Tiger thread) but for general purposes it works quite well. Outside of very fine stitching I think it would do the trick for most people.

Hi people, I am  from the UK and fairly new to leather work, I got a few reels of the 0.8 waxed thread from china, its not to over waxed like Tiger, but it stitches very well, when matched to some tiger 0.8 it is not as big, it looks like it comes out to 0.6.

Hope you find this helpful.  Paulw

On October 22, 2016 at 7:54 AM, NVLeatherWorx said:

Can you post a link to the braided poly-cord. I can't find it on their site.

I've used both, the Chinese stuff works great but is more like .6 or .7, and the tiger thread is a little better but not by very much. You can't complain about the price but the Chinese thread took 10 weeks to arrive! Because of that I'm using tiger thread.

18 hours ago, Thornton said:

Can you post a link to the braided poly-cord. I can't find it on their site.

Here it is, it is their waxed Poly Cord line.

https://www.mainethread.com/index.php/waxed-polycord

I have been using for a month or so now, a very similar product to tiger thread. It is called serabraid.   It is a German thread I believe.  I have been ordering it from southwest sewing machines out of Houston. I think there is one other member on here that has ordered a couple rolls but I don't remember who.  I ordered 2 spools at a time, 500m and they are like $50 for both.  The size 1000 is comparable to tigers 1.0 mm.   And they have always been very present to Deal with. 

I am not affiliated with them, just giving a plug for a company that has been nice to deal with. And if more people buy from them, they will keep more in stock. 

On 1/27/2017 at 2:31 PM, Thornton said:

But not braided like your first post led me to believe.

I looked at the website also, and found that the cotton is braided, the poly is twisted.

9 hours ago, JG10 said:

I found this Poly Braided thread on EBay. I purchased a black and white in their 346. They have several sizes listed with colors in tan, white and black.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Braided-Poly-Thread-White-Size-346-Waxed-1-4lb-for-leather-upholstery-and-more-/192118574892?hash=item2cbb28cf2c:g:MYoAAOSw8gVX8RYe

I find it remarkably coincidental that you're posting links to this seller and both your accounts have 10 as part of the user name (here and Ebay).  Spammer!

nailed it!

2 posts didn't hurt to call it, either.