PeteBuh

Reece 101

Hi All, While not a leather type machine this may be of interest to some here. I have a Reece 101 keyhole machine sitting in storage. Condition unknown. I was thinking of making this a fall project to get it up and running. I am no stranger to lockstitch machines and am not afraid to turn a wrench. Do any of you fine folks have any words of wisdom or hints, tips and tricks about this machine? Thoughts? Thanks.

These machines are beasts, for many reasons. There's really no comparison between a 101 and a lockstitch machine. The original manuals are good, parts are still available. I have machines with 4-5 million cycles on them, still running. They are a pretty sturdy machine. They are however difficult to troubleshoot and adjust, and I've been working on them for almost 37 years. They are also fascinating and a real good example at American engineering from years gone by. 

Regards, Eric 

Thanks for your insight Eric. Just knowing that manuals are good and parts are available is half the battle. I will dust this machine off and see what shape the beast is in.  

On 10/21/2016 at 11:32 PM, gottaknow said:

These machines are beasts, for many reasons. There's really no comparison between a 101 and a lockstitch machine. The original manuals are good, parts are still available. I have machines with 4-5 million cycles on them, still running. They are a pretty sturdy machine. They are however difficult to troubleshoot and adjust, and I've been working on them for almost 37 years. They are also fascinating and a real good example at American engineering from years gone by. 

Regards, Eric 

True that, we don't claim to service or support Reece S2s or 101s.  We used to have a guy who worked for Reece for many years, and would do some work for people in the area, and we would go through him when he was available.

I love getting into things myself, and have never turned a screw on a Reece machine.   

As a matter of fact, I can't think of really anyone who wants to or is willing to get into service or support of these models.  This must be factored in when trying to get started with a key hole button hole machine.

Edited by Gregg From Keystone Sewing

I have an S2 sitting around here and it is a lovely piece of engineering.

Normally I try to get machines running but the Reece is not something I am willing to spend time on as it is too complicated and there is no market for them!

1 hour ago, Darren Brosowski said:

I have an S2 sitting around here and it is a lovely piece of engineering.

Normally I try to get machines running but the Reece is not something I am willing to spend time on as it is too complicated and there is no market for them!

I just sold two for just above scrap prices, as is where is.  Customer said he popped them onto his existing tables and they worked like a charm.  We both couldn't be any happier.

I use several S2's for tacking elastic. Understanding how to set them is a process. As I look back over my career, the only machine I ever gave up on was an S2. It had an intermittent skipping issue. I must have messed with that machine off and on for a year. I eventually parted it out.

Setting a 101 is actually easier imo than an S2. However, once you get enough wear in the cam that drives the head, or the cam that drives the loopers and spreaders, you will never get them to sew right. And I do mean never. The newer machines are made in the Chech Republic. They are copies of the originals, but they used aluminum where they shouldn't have so I'm anticipating faster wear. It's also a machine I go through once a month looking for certain key loose components. Again, somewhat of a beast.

Regards, Eric