Just a simple dog collar I knocked out on the weekend for my border collie. He seems pretty happy with it!

Latigo leather from Tandy, about 3.8mm thick (9-10 oz). 

Solid brass hardware, and solid brass rivets. Only the best for my boy!

Dog Collar 1.jpg

Dog Collar 2.jpg

Dog Collar 3.jpg

I really like working with Latigo leather, the only draw back is that it bleeds when wet.

It's really nice to work with!

I haven't had much trouble with bleeding, having made  keychains, dog leads, and coffee sleeves from it.

But this tandy stuff isn't struck all the way through. That could be why?

I was going to make a belt from Latigo but the people at Tandy said I would regret it, because of bleeding.

When I look elsewhere for Latigo  i see it praised for belt making. It makes me a little suspicious of tandy's latigo.

Do other vendors have the problem with bleeding?

Edited by bikermutt07

I have not had any issues with the horween latigo but I also line it with another type of leather. I think it depends on the brand you get. Even the WC has two types of latigo, one thats much oilier. 

57 minutes ago, bikermutt07 said:

I was going to make a belt from Latigo but the people at Tandy said I would regret it, because of bleeding.

When I look elsewhere for Latigo  i see it praised for belt making. It makes me a little suspicious of tandy's latigo.

Do other vendors have the problem with bleeding?

Tandys latigo will turn your pants red. I made some work belts from some left over tandy latigo and it bled like a stuck hog. 

That's what I was thinking, it was a Tandy problem not a Latigo problem.

I made a belt for a guy at work from this latigo, no bleeding in about 6months... he wears white shirts.

My key fob in my pocket gets pretty hot and sweaty here in summer, but hasn't discoloured the inside of my pocket at all either.

Yet all over the place other people are having experience with it bleeding horridly.

I dunno, maybe I just got lucky with this side I bought...

Like I said though, with the stuff I got, it's not struck all the way through. Cut it open and it's still natural colour in the middle. Whereas some latigo is well struck through.

Im going to have to try to buy some better stuff to try because I really like Latigo. 

My main concern was a Tandy employee actually advising against buying it. That is not their normal s.o.p.

I made a belt out of Tandy Latigo and lined it with mission grain pigskin. Never had any problems with it bleeding.

I have made a few burgundy latigo dog collars, and some  black latigo collars.   It never fails but the burgundy latigo bleeds like crazy when rubbed down, or in rain or whatever situation!  I swear if I frowned at the burg latigo it will bleed.  

The black on the other hand has a certain amount of rub off on my cloth but then it seems done.  No more color rub off    

These hides are both from Tandy leather because I'm in Canada ..and am hesitant to order online from a tannery etc ... In case I don't get what I order.    Am nervous that what you see in the pic online isn't true to life.       Probably should brave it and order??? 

What can be done about the burgundy bleeding.    Anything?    I won't use it for customers cuz I'd hate for my collar to stain the dog coat.

I stick  mostly to veg tan but love the softness and feel of latigo!!

Any suggestions wud wud be greatly appreciated!!  

Thx  BJP

Edited by BJP

28 minutes ago, BJP said:

I have made a few burgundy latigo dog collars, and some  black latigo collars.   It never fails but the burgundy latigo bleeds like crazy when rubbed down, or in rain or whatever situation!  I swear if I frowned at the burg latigo it will bleed.  

The black on the other hand has a certain amount of rub off on my cloth but then it seems done.  No more color rub off    

These hides are both from Tandy leather because I'm in Canada ..and am hesitant to order online from a tannery etc ... In case I don't get what I order.    Am nervous that what you see in the pic online isn't true to life.   

What can be done about the burgundy bleeding.    Anything?    I won't use it for customers cuz I'd hate for my collar to stain the dog coat.

I stick  mostly to veg tan but love the softness and feel of latigo!!

Any suggestions wud wud be greatly appreciated!!  

Thx  BJP

From what I understand the tandy Latigo is known for bleeding. I have a Tandy down the street. No one else seems to have this problem. I have been ordering all my leather (not a lot so far) from online sources. Quality and price are way beyond Tandy. Give it a try. You'll see how bad they have been doing you.

Edited by bikermutt07

Thanks Bikermutt07..

i think I'm going to bite the bullet and try ordering..    I just don't know who to buy from to get good not overpriced Latigo.   

Ill look into this subject :)

Check with Maverick.

http://maverickleathercompany.com/product-category/horween/latigo/

Edited by bikermutt07