texasfireleather

Black Hardware Needed

I used to have a firefighter leather company that I sold about a year ago. I was interested then in buying black hardware as an option for customers, but couldn't find any. I still do it as a hobby from time to time and occasionally make some items for guys I work with. Recently, I had a request from a guy I work with to make him a radio strap with all black hardware. I can find black rivets, line 24 snaps, clip and dee's, but nothing else. I have searched for hours for the items but I'm not having any luck anywhere. 

I am needing:

Black 1-1/4" or 1-1/2“ roller buckles (preferably center bar roller buckles)                                         Black 1" Trigger Snaps (heavy duty, lobster craw style) 

Thanks for your time and information. 

this just a thought. with s/s you can torch it and it will change color blue if you know what your doing . and you might know some one who does electro platting I think the stain glass workers have stuff that applied to brass turns it black. not sure how permeate  it is.

11 minutes ago, thunter9 said:

this just a thought. with s/s you can torch it and it will change color blue if you know what your doing . and you might know some one who does electro platting I think the stain glass workers have stuff that applied to brass turns it black. not sure how permeate  it is.

You can tarnish brass nearly black using computer board etchant solution. Back when Radio Shacks were still open, you could buy there for about 7-8$. Muriatic acid from the hardware store should do the same.

1 hour ago, texasfireleatherworks said:

I used to have a firefighter leather company that I sold about a year ago. I was interested then in buying black hardware as an option for customers, but couldn't find any. I still do it as a hobby from time to time and occasionally make some items for guys I work with. Recently, I had a request from a guy I work with to make him a radio strap with all black hardware. I can find black rivets, line 24 snaps, clip and dee's, but nothing else. I have searched for hours for the items but I'm not having any luck anywhere. 

I am needing:

Black 1-1/4" or 1-1/2“ roller buckles (preferably center bar roller buckles)                                         Black 1" Trigger Snaps (heavy duty, lobster craw style) 

My experience with Black metal hardware is that the vast majority of black hardware is just painted with something like a black epoxy enamel paint. Not really super durable, so you don't see a lot of quality manufacturers offering a black finish.

If you could find some unfinished brass buckles/snaps or nickel plated snaps, you could etch them with an acid, clean them off and spray on your own black epoxy enamel or black powder coat.

Have you asked the folks at Ohio Travel Bag? They have been the most helpful for hard to find stuff, I have dealt with.

Edited by Colt W Knight

Check out OTB (www.ohiotravelbag.com) or the Buckle Guy (www.buckleguy.com) and see what they have.  I know OTB actually carries the Pull-the-DOT snaps and they were all black and kept their color.

I 2nd the Buckle Guy suggestion above. https://www.buckleguy.com

They used to have some black items and still have some Gun Metal color. They might be able to do special orders.

Edited by thefanninator

Try searching for companies that service tactical gear manufacturers. The places that sell kydex and webbing.

I have searched Buckle Guy and Ohio Travel Bag, along with several other places. I haven't actually talked to OTB but I will give them a call. I was able to find some buckles today, but still haven't been able to find the trigger snaps. Thanks everyone for their help and input. 

We have a heel bar roller buckle in black in 1", 1-1/4 and 1-1/2.  We also have a 225 snap in 1"...but it is the standard style snap and a round eye.  We will have more in our line of black hardware in our next catalog in April, and I believe the scissor style snaps are on that list.  The item # for the buckle is our 00050-BA-1

00050-BA-11/4

00050-BA-11/2

http://www.weaverleathersupply.com/search/Search/00050/001/10

Thank you Weaver for the information. I'm only in need of a handful of these items as I'm only making this one thing currently, but would like to keep a few of each item in stock just in case the need for the black hardware arises again. I will be looking forward to seeing the new stuff in the April catalog. 

On 10/24/2016 at 3:34 PM, texasfireleatherworks said:

I am needing:

I bought Whitman leather of Cincinnati's stock at auction when the family retired this year.  I have boxes of black rivets and black eyelets. Not even sure how many things I have but if you want to contact I could take some pictures tomorrow and forward.  I'm getting ready to post lots of things for sale.  Whitman see to do all if the Ohio police and fire belts and accessories.  I also have hundreds of original blue prints for all of their designs and lots of leather I'll never use.  This is my first day on here so I'm trying to figure out the site a little bit.  

keep me in mind when you  start posting. are you only going to post here ?

I posted on Facebook. I'm in northern ky. Thinking about possibly having a sale weekend at the shop just to move things.  If you like to email me directly I could send you images and you could get a better feel for things. My email is maderjc@aol.com