I want to make a dopp bag that looks something like this:

http://www.societyperks.com/2012/12/11/this-mens-leather-toiletry-bag-gets-a-solid-5-stars/

I like how the zippered ends fold down.  It opens up completely, which is different from boxy bags made with a single zipper down the middle.  Also, I like the relative rigidity of the bag. Honestly, I'm not sure how important it is to have a bag like this but I grew up thinking this is The Way because that's what the old man used.  There's lots of dopp bag plans on this forum (I Searched!) but nothing like this.

Does anyone have any advice about how to achieve these effects?  In particular, what kind of leather and what weight?  I have a side of 8-9 oz veg tanned cow hide.  Can I use that? 

Are there any special techniques for making that fold?  For example, dampening the leather.

8-9 oz veg tan would probably be very difficult to work with - too thick I would think. You'd need something thinner to achieve these curves, etc. I would go with 3-4 oz veg tan.

As for molding it, there are lots of videos on YouTube showing how to do this, but wetting the leather first and then shaping it is the first step.

Good luck. Teresa