Another latigo project, this one for a client.

It's a slip lead, for a small dog that will pretty soon become a large one! (german shepherd puppy)

The construction is pretty simple, being just a 1" wide burgundy latigo strap with a couple of turn backs and an O-ring. The handle end and the turnback for the cast brass O-ring are skived to half the thickness, and secured with two solid brass rivets.

The smooth burnished edges are dyed with mahogany dye, and burnished with water and beeswax... burnishing that much length took about an hour by itself using my pro-edge burnisher.

How does it work? You use it instead of a choker chain. The O-ring slides freely up and down the lead, tightening when the dog or handler pull on the lead. When not being pulled on, it returns to a loose position, in the same way as a standard choker chain.

There are a couple of advantages for this over a choker chain though. Firstly, it is softer on the dog because the 1" wide strap spreads over a wider area than a choker chain, yet it still achieves the same purpose. Unlike this free floating O ring, choker chains have linkages and can often remain tightened after the dog has been corrected. Also the absence of a chain means no uncomfortable hair pulling for the pooch.

I hope you like it! I am sure my client will get as much satisfaction from it as I have done with my own for the past 2 years... The sad thing is, this lead will survive longer the dog.

Slip Lead 1.jpg

Slip Lead 2.jpg

Slip Lead 3.jpg

Looks like you have done a fine job and your client should be very pleased.

Great job hope the recipient loves it too :O)

Thanks guys :)

I've made one or two for myself before, and learned the things that bug me about it. Those have been resolved here!

Looks good and strong and professional.

1 hour ago, RockyAussie said:

Looks good and strong and professional.

Thanks mate, one cannot ask for a better review than that!