This #46 Nylon thread I just purchased is flying apart or fraying while I'm sewing . Would you say that perhaps this is an old product or is this common with some thread?

I have sewn for years and always see a bit debris , but this is from about 45 to 60 seconds of sewing. 

IMG_4387.JPG

Check the needle. Possibly worn out. Check the feeder plate for burrs.  But first, check your tension and make sure nothing is snagged or threaded wrong.  Have you ever used 46#?  I don't know about your machine, but I seem to recall 69# is the smallest my machines will handle (111W155 and 227R).

There is also left and right twist threads.  You said it was just purchased, so maybe the wrong twist?

Post what you find.  Helps us all <g>

Since it is a new thread, that could be the problem.

As far as the machine, I would try in a new needle (suggested size 14 or 16 for #46 thread). I would also turn the inside presser foot so it is not so close to the needle.

Is there shredded thread up around the tensioners as well? If it is up there too, you can probably rule out needle problems, however the foot does look too close to me as well.

When I worked at an upholstery fabrication shop, I actually had a needle which had an eye with a burr in it. It didn't come out of the box that way, it just developed a burr. Started cutting thread, regardless of which spool we used.

The mechanic stated that occasionally happened. He'd seen it before.

Changed the needle and the problem went away.

On 10/27/2016 at 11:22 AM, threepets said:

This #46 Nylon thread I just purchased is flying apart or fraying while I'm sewing . Would you say that perhaps this is an old product or is this common with some thread?

I have sewn for years and always see a bit debris , but this is from about 45 to 60 seconds of sewing. 

Well, did you solve your thread problems?