Couldn't buy phone protector case, got sick of it falling out my pocket. Scrap leather had a strange coating on it that stopped finish working properly, but has already saved the phone from damage!

phone_holder_back.jpg

phone_holder_front.jpg

Def a weird finish, but I like the tooling.

I'm guessing that you didn't clean the leather with some solvent, like denatured alcohol, prior to dying.  This may have allowed the leather to take the dye more evenly.

Probably a import leather right?

Sometimes that imported stuff you get at tandy will have a smoothing top coat of some kind on it, I presume to try and hide all the imperfections. 

7 minutes ago, MADMAX22 said:

Probably a import leather right?

Sometimes that imported stuff you get at tandy will have a smoothing top coat of some kind on it, I presume to try and hide all the imperfections. 

Lipstick on a pig?

13 minutes ago, TinkerTailor said:

Lipstick on a pig?

Gotta justify the $12 sq/ft right. 

2 minutes ago, MADMAX22 said:

Gotta justify the $12 sq/ft right. 

And the European Bends "hecho en mexico" that are 3 dollars more a foot than the real deal from Tuscany.

Edited by TinkerTailor

Just now, TinkerTailor said:

And the European Bends "hencho en mexico".  

When I first started like most others I got some leather from tandy. Was having a similar issue as above so took advice to clean it with denatured alcohol. I was pretty shocked with the amount of this tannish substance that came off the leather, ofcourse leaving behind obvious scars and marks and more bug bites then ya would care to count. Took dye after wards though, well somewhat better then before. I had a order in with W&C a few days later. 

Watch this fun video, and at about 9:09 you will see what they use to fill in some pretty heinous gouges on veg tan leather these days.

As an added bonus, they show you how they make the new leather you find peeling off of your leather couches and chairs. :)

YinTx

Ya mean what they use to fill in stuff on vegtan from questionable tanners these days. I have never encountered this from wickett and craige or hermann oak.