I bought an LU-563 from a reputable dealer on ebay.  I ordered lots of parts including the larger bobbins that fit the 563 model.  Turns out the machine is actually a 562 with the smaller bobbin.  I need the larger for thick T90+ thread.

Question:  Can I just replace the 562 hook with a hook for the 563?  Are they interchangeable?

Any other thoughts on how to solve this "size really does matter" dilemma?

Get ahold of the seller and get the machine you actually purchased. If I read this right, you bought a 563 and it showed up a 562. Ebay has good protection for the buyer in product switch cases. Contact them first, it is far better for them to deal with this in person than for ebay to get involved. Do not hesitate because there is a time limit on the ebay purchase protection.

Supposedly you can swap the hook assembly from the 562 with the large capacity of the 563, but no one will confirm that before I purchase one??

I still don't understand why you would go to all the trouble to convert the machine when you said it was not the one you bought in the first place. The seller should make right or at least pay for a shop to convert it for you. In case you are a novice, this is the kind of task that is probably left for someone who has worked on and timed a few industrial machines already,.

According to the parts list the hook opener, opener arm and various bushings are also different part numbers between the 562/63. You may be able to convert the machine but it probably will entail more than just changing the hook. They have some screws different and they lubricate slightly differently. http://southstarsupply.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/JUKI-LU-562LU-563.pdf

http://dunlapsunbrand.com/flipbook/juki/LU-562,_LU-563_INSTRUCTION_MANUAL_DSI1.00_AMG_042814/files/assets/basic-html/toc.html

Edited by TinkerTailor

NO,they do not just interchange!You need to either buy the correct hook saddle(the part that holds the hook in) or it needs to be taken out & machined deeper.The large hook is also taller & won't fit in,you also need to change the take up lever,as it's also longer on the 563.

Thanks for the feedback.  I decided to live with the smaller bobbin size for now.  Still not happy with the ebay seller, but I have been down the ebay return/dispute route before and got nowhere. 

Next problem, the safety clutch is engaged and won't disengage.  I need to look again but I suspect the spring in the clutch is missing and/or I lost it while "thoroughly" cleaning the machine.

Curious if you dont mind what shop was it on ebay that sold it to you. Not to start a flame war or anything, just wondering if its the one I think it is. 

Not a fan of bad mouthing anyone when there are always two sides to the story, so I won't disclose particulars other than to say I bought it from an industrial machine dealer/reseller in Pennsylvania with high ebay ratings and quick shipping, but product was not as advertised, no acceptable explanation for the variance and no offer to make it right ... yet.  Here's the one I bought (ebay screen shot).  In my opinion, it seems reasonable to assume this would be a 563, not a 562 ... LOL

:unsure:

juki 563.JPG

I'd open a case with ebay.  You did not get what you paid for.

I'm giving seller the opportunity to make it right, holding out he will see the value in maintaining happy customers. 

In the meantime, I'll make do with what I have and get back to "making stuff" out in my shop!

Update - Seller made it right to my satisfaction!

Second update - I ordered a new sewing hook assembly.  Seller said they ARE interchangeable.  They don't charge for returns, so I thought I'd try it. 

Just tested and it DOES fit.  There is clearance under the bed slide plate for the slightly taller bobbin case and the extra length of the hook arm shaft does not appear to be a problem (it just protrudes below the hook driving shaft a bit).  BUT I'd need to replace the bobbin case opening lever, lever crank, upper and lower bushings, take up arm and probably modify the lubrication system too.  Oh well, I had my fingers crossed for an "easy" solution.

The parts might fit if it truly is a 563 because you CAN put the small hook in a large bobbin machine(as long as it already had one in it),it isn't the best thing to do because I think you have a gap above the upper bearing in the hook saddle,so maybe they knew all along it had a small hook in it & know the larger one will drop in.

JUKI LU-562/563 MANUAL+PARTS LIST+AIRCREW MANUAL+SINGER 111 MANUAL+SINGER 111W155 PARTS LIST

I thought others may find this helpful.  I assembled a PDF binder of really helpful information on Juki LU-562/563 machines.  This PDF includes the original Juki manual and factory parts lists, plus I added the Aircrew Equipmentman - Sewing Machine Repair (Chapter 4) that pertains to the Juki machines, and the manual for the nearly identical Singer 111 series and parts list.  Unfortunately some of the old documents aren't the best resolution, so I enlarged the most critical diagrams and illustrations and inserted those enlarged pages into the PDF file as well. 

You can download a copy of my PDF via this link ... https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2935348/Juki LU 562 563 Manual.pdf

Notes: 

• If the link dies for any reason, just drop me a note and I can send you a copy via email.   
  • Make sure you set your printer to "fit to page" and then you will get all of the enlarged diagrams printed full size.  
  • This 100+ page PDF file is nearly 8mb.

Hope this helps someone else, like it has me.

:)

Juki LU 562 563 Manual.pdf

Edited by northmount
Uploaded file, links often disappear, esp dropbox