Sixtenleathergoods

First time making guitar strap

I feel bad that I have been part of the forum for some time now, but hardly ever take the time to post anything. Wanted to share my first attempt at making a guitar strap for a friend. Feel free to critique if you have some feedback as I enjoy this forum as a great resource for learning new things. It's made from a 6oz veg tan hide, cut, dyed, basic tooling for the edge border, burnished edges, and then finished off with resolene and a neetsfoot/beeswax mix I use to lotion all my products with before they ship out.

Guitar Strap small-1.jpgGuitar Strap small-2.jpgGuitar Strap small-3.jpgGuitar Strap small-4.jpgGuitar Strap small-5.jpg

Nice! Neat clean piece. Going to try stitching soon hope mine turns out this neat.

Edited by Brown64

nice stitching, it looks real nice. I am sure your friend will be happy

looks good but 1 question. With using 6oz and having doubled it on the front piece, how well does it go on the front button? I usually go with 9oz and skive the end down to about 7oz where it goes on the button. You would have roughly 12oz or are you skiving it down some?

On 11/2/2016 at 9:01 AM, Halitech said:

looks good but 1 question. With using 6oz and having doubled it on the front piece, how well does it go on the front button? I usually go with 9oz and skive the end down to about 7oz where it goes on the button. You would have roughly 12oz or are you skiving it down some?

Thanks for the feedback! I did skive it down some. But it turned out to be a bit to thick still so I will need to rework the front piece for him to fit it. I think I will use some of the 3oz leather in the future instead, but was completely out when I finished this one and thought I would take a short cut...woaa woaa woaaaaa.