I recently acquired a brand new Cobra Class 4 machine. I am having a problem with stitching with it. It will sew the first few stitches just fine but then it starts skipping stitches and then starts shredding the thread. It looks like the needle is piercing the thread as it stitches. I have the top tension almost all the way out and the bobbin tension is in the middle and yet it looks like the top is super tight. I don't want to mess with the timing without knowing what I'm doing.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Follow Cobra Steve's video on going thru these things. It is very straightforward and provides all the adjustments necessary to ensure good stitching. Sorry don't have a link but should be easy to find.

Also is the spool of thread and needle in good shape? Check these first. Oh and make sure the hook doesn't have any burrs on it also.

Without a picture I'm guessing only.  Sounds like your needle isn't in correctly, or you have thread wrapped around the needle.

I would

• cut the thread off back at the spool, re-thread the machine from the start.  
  • Pull the bobbin, make sure it's running the thread from the bottom of the spool (when you look at it in place and pull the thread, teh bobbin should turn counter-clockwise)
  • verify that the needle 'scarf' is facing to the right, and the 'slot' on the needle is then to the left
  • verify that the thread passes through the needle from left to right

Once all that is in place, make sure you are holding some light tension on BOTH top and bottom threads when you start (3-4 stitches is enough).  

Not to confuse the issue, but just so you know--- the foot pressure (screw on top left) can affect skipped stitches too... :blush:

see if you can post some photos of what is going on, your in NC so a couple of hours ahead of Cali so you should be able to call in and get help from them, but Like mentioned above look for the video.  If you bought it new and it came from Cali did it have the CD in the box that will take you step by step on how to set up and run the machine, if it came from some other source the video is out there just have to find it

I'm still starting the Cobra thing, so will listen more hopefully : )

Though after I went and did some learning here n there I finally replaced my spool of thread at the end.

But prior I found the needle to have a bur at its end, this I think was there when I picked it up used. At first I smoothed it up with fine sand paper( yes I had a pac of new ) put word in blank______. Anyway me moving the leather around was different than a flatbed no doubt and easy to have the needle hit something jackin it around, but finally got a better touch on it.

I found from listening and or reading the prior postings that thread paths are picky but are getting easier to understand. My knowledge from the past is something, yet with the 441 seems like I'm reaching in an empty minnow bucket.

I finally figured some things out and with my new thread to boot I moved on, and the next day when I was ready to rock n roll I had an issue, almost sounds the same; anyway my new thread is great proved that the night before. But some how me doing something the thread above the spool had slack at the nights close or early morn this slack fell and over the spool base, yep and so you know it was aliens yep, anyway it tightened under around the base. I started and like a fiddle string was tight for a few stitches and I watched this in like slow motion TING shreaded and broke the 277. The 1 inch of stitch made was banjo string top tite.  Lucky I looked that way and seen it still under that spool base Wow, luck dog!

that's a lot for listening eh

Floyd

Edited by brmax

That's some true stuff right cheeer ↑

If it was "okay", and now it's not -- I check the needle.  Not always the problem,but since it's the easiest "fix", silly not to check it.  I know a guy (who shall not be named here ;) ) who fussed and fiddled with tensions and thread for an hour when a new needle would have solved the trouble :blush:

And the BRAND of thread can make a difference, too.  I have some shades of brown in 277 from one place that are just fine running a #24 needle.  When I use the brown from another place, also 277, I need to use a #25 needle, since the #24 just has fits (stitch for a while, boooger for a while, etc)...