Not overly happy with my dye job. Turned out pretty good. Thanks again Dwight for the help with the pattern and the guidance on a style of holster new to me. Friend at work asked for me to make it for him and he like it better than the Uncle Mike's he has been using.received_10202613290248760.jpeg

received_10202613290328762.jpeg

That looks pretty good, specially for a first attempt. I see where the dye sort of concentrated towards the muzzle. Any idea why that happened?

I'm thinking Tandy leather mostly.Was dip dyed.Thanks btw. Trying to work out ending you stitching better. The back stitching causes it the look odd cuz it's double stitched. Using 1mm Tiger thread.

Edited by Mattsbagger

I think you did a bang up job on it.

It's only 40,000 times better than an Uncle Mike's.

I used to sweat the double stitch finish.  A few hundred holsters later and no one has ever mentioned it.  In other words, it's part of the process.  IMO, machine finishes on some production holsters look much worse.  Not all mind you.  But some of those folks just don't care, and it shows.  

Usually the "rule" of thumb is like 3 stitches. I generally like doing 3 and pulling the top thread back like you did on the fourth. For some reason when its just 1 or 2 stitches it seems to stand out more in a way. Adding an extra stitch or two back seems in my mind anyways make it seem more like a uniform part of the process and not like a little glitch in the process, if that makes any sense. 

Good lookin stitching by the way. 

It's a hand made work of art.  What you, the maker, call a mistake is actually a feature making it unique.  Just don't point it out to everybody as a mistake.

On 11/6/2016 at 11:40 PM, MADMAX22 said:

Usually the "rule" of thumb is like 3 stitches. I generally like doing 3 and pulling the top thread back like you did on the fourth. For some reason when its just 1 or 2 stitches it seems to stand out more in a way. Adding an extra stitch or two back seems in my mind anyways make it seem more like a uniform part of the process and not like a little glitch in the process, if that makes any sense. 

Good lookin stitching by the way. 

Thanks for the advise. I have been wondering how to get the back stitching to look less obvious. I will give that a try.

56 minutes ago, Mattsbagger said:

Thanks for the advise. I have been wondering how to get the back stitching to look less obvious. I will give that a try.

Cant say it will be less obvious but try it on a holster or some scrap and see what you think. It may or may not be to your liking.