Saddletramp307

Italian Hide/Leather Supplier for purses

I had been getting most of my hides from Sheridan Leather before they closed down (very sad- I loved that little shop), and came across a really incredible hide in their closeout sale (bought it sight unseen with little description, off their Facebook sale for essentially what was described as black garment leather), extremely supple, amazing drape/hand, buttery soft pebble grain, 2-2.5 oz, and label stated it's by a company called "Montebello", out of Italy.  I've messaged Sheridan Leather on Facebook, as to where I could find another distributor of the leather, but obviously they're no longer operating so I didn't get a response.  I also sent Montebello an email directly, but god knows where that went, as I haven't gotten a response from them either.  

Long story long:  does anyone have any recommendations as to who I could contact to find similar hides?  I don't know that it has to be Italian, but the hides I've gotten in attempts to find a match have been subpar, similar weight, but feel like waxy cardboard by comparison (exaggeration, but you get the picture.).  Not that it would help,  but probably wouldn't hinder,  I've included photos of the two purses I made out of the hide.

IMG_7966.JPG

E9734819-70A6-44E5-B55A-1BAB78ABF35F.JPG

Edited by Saddletramp307

Fine Leatherworking has some German pebble grained calf skins.

http://www.fineleatherworking.com/leather?page=2

I would suggest trying to get some swatches from various suppliers. That way even if you have to pay a little bit for a full swatch bank its better then guessing on sides. 

I would check with the hidehouse and see how there stuff compares to what ya want. There are quiet a few garment/upholstery hide suppliers many with there own "line" of leather. 

Getting swatches is a great idea, but possibly even better if you have some scraps left, send them to some of the suppliers that deal with a variety of tanneries .. That way they can compare what they have to what you want!  You might also look to upholstery suppliers as well.

Bill

I get my stuff from Hide HOUSE in Napa, CA

I too would recommend the Hide House in Napa, CA for that type of leather.  They have a very broad selection of leathers and they do supply fashion designers which appears right up your alley.

Thanks for all the great suggestions, all!  I had gotten a swatch sample book from Hide House a few weeks ago, but I think sending them a scrap of the hide is probably the quickest route to getting what I need.  I'll give them a call, as well as check out the other suggestions.  Thanks again!

OrionCalf.com milled French calf leather might be an option for you. Natural milled (not printed) leathers will have some variation in 'pebble' in different areas of the hide, it's very soft and has a great handfeel.