cbeatti2

Get back into it...slowly

Hey.  

I've been away from leatherworking/tooling for a while (and I don't really know why) but have decided to work my way back in, gradually building my skillset.  Attached is the first practice piece in maybe 3-4 years.  Feel free to critique, as I can use some feedback.  The pictures don't seem to do it justice to be honest, but I guess they rarely do, like a photo of a mountain and actually viewing the mountain for real are two totally different things...not that this simple piece is all that majestic.  :-)  Actually I am sorta happy with it, being the first attempt in a long while.  Thanks!

IMG_0621.JPG

IMG_0125.JPG

IMG_0127.JPGFullSizeRender.jpg

Edited by cbeatti2
trying to organize the photos into a timeline.

Looks good to me, being a novice myself I really don't have much critique other than maybe using a peddle lifter to make the flower peddles pop. It's really pretty good IMO.

Looks really good. The flow of the piece is really nice. I'm no tooler so I don't have anything to add.

Edited by bikermutt07

Thanks.  I "borrowed" the pattern so I can't really take any credit for that...and I do agree Brown64, some lift would help.  I should get me some of those lifters, or fashion a few in the machine shop.

As a novice myself, I find it to be nicely done!  I might have to "borrow" the pattern as well, lol!

Overall, it aint bad.  One thing that stands for a bit of attention... maybe... your shading (pear shader, thumb print, whatever ya call it) ends quite abruptly.  I like to see the shade taper out a little more gradually.  Ideally, someone looking at the carving would see a flower with some contour, rather than the mark of the tool that made it.  Still, it dont look "bad'.. ;)

On 11/18/2016 at 10:38 AM, JLSleather said:

Overall, it aint bad.  One thing that stands for a bit of attention... maybe... your shading (pear shader, thumb print, whatever ya call it) ends quite abruptly.  I like to see the shade taper out a little more gradually.  Ideally, someone looking at the carving would see a flower with some contour, rather than the mark of the tool that made it.  Still, it dont look "bad'.. ;)

Good point.  I'll give that a go next time around, and be more cognizant of the use of the shader.  Thanks

Looks real good for someone who hasn't been doing it for a while. I agree with JL, but it still looks pretty good.

It's amazing! I love the color. The one thing I'd have to say is practice the mule foot. It should start big and deep and go small. It's not easy because it's all about controlling the pressure of the mallet!

It does look good.  And I WELL understand having been away from it for awhile.  I think we ALL go thru "The Slump."  My only comment would be fade out with your pear shader. a bit.  Hold it up a tad.  But otherwise looks like you're on your way back!