Based on drawings of the early US Army haversack with my own twist.

Apart from the inner flap all the leather is from the same skin and has been dyed, oiled and saddle soaped in the same way. I really like how each section has taken on it's own patina.

im really pleased with how it's turned out. Hope you like it.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I like it, even though I have never heard the name before. Is it a document type bag?

Thanks Capt'n

My understanding is that a haversack is where soldiers carried their 'possibles'. The plans have dimensions for salt and cutlery bags which fitted each side of the main campartment. The mobile and tablet pouches are my touches.

I read somewhere that the front flap is larger partly to keep the rain out and partly so that it could be used as a small ground sheet to sit on whilst still being able to access the contents of the bag.

Today I suppose it comes under the catch all of "Messenger Bag" as the main care is large enough for documents or a small laptop.

Cheers

ps which is your chief weapon, fear or surprise?

Ah, see. All this was before the C Rations, so that makes perfect sense. And on  a side note, they were still passing out C Rations when I was in Basic Training in the 80's. It was a game to see who had the oldest dated can at any given meal. I remember having fruit from 1940something, and discovering the inspiration behind Dr Seuss' Green Eggs and Ham.

ps, my chief weapon is surprise, with a side of big freaking rock ;)

14 hours ago, CaptQuirk said:

I like it, even though I have never heard the name before. Is it a document type bag?

If you go on youtube you can find many videos on these bags.  The haversack is big within the bushcraft community. 

I don't have the bandwidth for video. Out here, cell signals get lost if the wind blows. :(

Great Job!  Great design and layout also!  I would stay away from Plastic on such an item if used in field.  Looks like a plastic clip closure and those can break, especially in cold weather, or if stepped on.

Otherwise looks great!

Cool idea!  Looks good 

Thanks for the kind words.

Vikefan.

Good call on the fittings, the ones on the webbing are plastic but from a military supplier and the main catch is a high spec aluminium buckle used by riggers and tree surgeons.

I'm using brass on my current project and am experimenting with aging/dulling techniques. Ammonia & salt solution next. Should be smelly!