SasQuiche

Awl slipping from handle.

Hello y'awl (I won't do that again),

While sewing some pretty thick leather all was business as usual. Until I tried pulling my awl out from its hole only to be left with a handle.

I wanted to ask if this happened to you before? How would you go about fixing it? and would glue be a good idea?  

Old school is to use cutlers wax which is wax with lots of pitch and rosin. I just glue them in. I like epoxy but i am not worried about removing them. Acetone can remove crazy glue so that may be an option.Other trick with awl handles that fit too loose due to wear or design is to drill out the hole so a toothpick/bamboo skewer/chopstick fits, glue it in, cut it off and then drill a new smaller hole for the awl.

That happened to me. I serrated or roughened the base of the awl blade with a triangular needle file, then glued it back in with 2 - part epoxy glue

I had a similar problem with a very small model carving knife. I plugged the hole with a sliver of wood, then drilled a smaller hole to refit the blade

So yes, pretty much the same advice as TinkerTailor.

When you've done that if you have some troublesome leather again you could also try rubbing or lubricating the awl blade with some beeswax

21 minutes ago, zuludog said:

That happened to me. I serrated or roughened the base of the awl blade with a triangular needle file, then glued it back in with 2 - part epoxy glue

I had a similar problem with a very small model carving knife. I plugged the hole with a sliver of wood, then drilled a smaller hole to refit the blade

So yes, pretty much the same advice as TinkerTailor.

When you've done that if you have some troublesome leather again you could also try rubbing or lubricating the awl blade with some beeswax

And make sure it is sharp and polished. The smoother it is, the easier it goes in and out.

Great advice! Im going to try wedging a toothpick into the hole and refitting the awl to the haft. If that doest work I'll give bonding a try. 

Thanks for the help.