zaynexpetty

Barry King Edgers.

Hello all, its been a while.

Anyway, I am in the market for a new edge beveler, and I have been told that Barry King Tools makes some good edgers for the money. I was looking to either purchase their grooved edger or their common edger. They told me that the common edger gives more of a rounded edge than the grooved edger, but that the grooved edger lasts longer. I havent really had great luck with precision and consistency with the style of edger that the common edger is. The grooved edger seems more like Tandy's pro edger, which is what i'm used to.  The problem is, the smallest size pro edger tandy sells is a #2, which isnt small enough, and their new fine edger is too small. I'm working a lot with 4/5 and 5/6 oz leather, and the #2 tandy sells takes too much off and does not always cut a perfectly straight bevel. I guess my question is, does anyone have any experience with the sizing of barry kings edgers and possibly how the sizing compares to tandy's? What oz of leather is recommended to use with each size beveler? Do you think the grooved edger or the common edger would be more ideal?

Thank you for the input!

Zayne

Send Barry an email through his Web site and tell him what you are looking for and the weight of leather you are working with....this what I did and he answered very quickly with details about his edgers and his recommendation on which ones would work best.

3 hours ago, Troy I said:

Send Barry an email through his Web site and tell him what you are looking for and the weight of leather you are working with....this what I did and he answered very quickly with details about his edgers and his recommendation on which ones would work best.

I emailed them yesterday but havent received a response yet. I guess I'll wait a couple days and see what they say, thanks!

I'm looking at the Horse Shoe Brand Tools Quick Change Western Edge beveler available at http://www.ranch2arena.com/hsbtqctools.html after seeing a review by Nigel Armitage on you tube.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liakL3TyPA0  

Anyone have experience with that one?

The quick change handle has 5 different size bevelers (from 0-4) available that snap in.

I have the same question as you regarding the correct size beveler to use with what leather.  

Please let me know what you find out.

I have the HSB Quick Change in two sizes. My problem is there is a line that the toe leaves on the leather. If you watch Nigel's review closely, he gets the same thing. I emailed Ranch2arena about this problem a couple weeks ago but no response.

On 11/23/2016 at 8:54 PM, kjcreamer said:

I have the HSB Quick Change in two sizes. My problem is there is a line that the toe leaves on the leather. If you watch Nigel's review closely, he gets the same thing. I emailed Ranch2arena about this problem a couple weeks ago but no response.

I'm guessing you never got any kind of response to your question about the line that the edges are creating?

I get a line with my Craftool Pro edgers, also. The "heel" for want of a better term, is what leaves the line, unless I really lean the beveller over. With thin leathers, I have to put another piece of leather under it, or hold it on the edge of the table to the right amount of lean to avoid the line. 

Zane, you say the Pro only comes as small as #2, but I have a 1 and a 0 also. The fine is REALLY fine, but the groove is so tiny it clogs with leather that has been cut.

2 hours ago, Sanch said:

I'm guessing you never got any kind of response to your question about the line that the edges are creating?

I talked with Jeremiah and his wife at Sheridan. They are working with the folks making them trying to get them better. Also he told me to polish them on a buffing wheel with some rouge to clean up the edge. Idk if there is a way to get rid of the line other than leaning them over. I have the 0 to 5 sizes. I use the 0 on 3 oz for wallets.

Edited by Mattsbagger

1 hour ago, Mattsbagger said:

I talked with Jeremiah and his wife at Sheridan. They are working with the folks making them trying to get them better. Also he told me to polish them on a buffing wheel with some rouge to clean up the edge. Idk if there is a way to get rid of the line other than leaning them over. I have the 0 to 5 sizes. I use the 0 on 3 oz for wallets.

I was very close to pulling the trigger on some of these but I am waiting to hear back from them. I emailed them and have not received a response yet I'm sure they're probably busy.

also following to see if there is a response.......

On 11/29/2017 at 6:41 AM, mtcowpony2 said:

2 emails later still not a word from ranchtoarena very discouraging hoping there's not an issue or that its maybe a simple oversight... almost broke down and bought the WUTA brand off of Amazon the other night sigh can't win for losing lol!

Have you checked out Goods Japan? They do rounded edge bevelslers that come with their open sharpening tool and they recommend what size beveller to use with what thickness leather. Any tool I have bought form them have all been good quality.

3 hours ago, Dunluce said:

Have you checked out Goods Japan? They do rounded edge bevelslers that come with their open sharpening tool and they recommend what size beveller to use with what thickness leather. Any tool I have bought form them have all been good quality.

Yea,  I looked just not a huge fan of waiting for things to be shipped from overseas seems shipments from there take particularly long to TN 

Douglas, King and Watt all make great edgers. I don't think you could do bad with any of them.

Older Osbornes and the like also do a great job. 

Having shipped stuff in the past to the USA, I can tell you ( because I investigated ) the delays are entirely stateside with customs and homeland..things shipped can get to the USA in a few days..and then sit for weeks or even months , with US customs or homeland , before they get released to complete their journey to the customer..happens less with DHL, fedex or UPS ( because they are paying for expedited customs clearance ). but can still happen..EMS ( which is what Goods Japan use ) I have used..tracked it..3days from my door to touchdown in the USA..then 6 weeks in US customs..my customer ( member of US prison's service ) was not pleased at all.

Item was clothing..

If you buy Douglas tools, you are dealing direct with Bob and Lee Douglas. Lee is quick about shipping, the flat-rate box usually hits the mail in a day or so. Quality has been uniformly excellent, and for those that care, you are supporting a small domestic maker of fine tools, though I could say that of others as well.

Yea i just with douglas had a real website where we could order all the tool. 

Its 2017, get with the times.

Actually, lots of toolmakers are in the same boat.  

On 11/26/2017 at 2:54 PM, alpha2 said:

I get a line with my Craftool Pro edgers, also. The "heel" for want of a better term, is what leaves the line, unless I really lean the beveller over. With thin leathers, I have to put another piece of leather under it, or hold it on the edge of the table to the right amount of lean to avoid the line.

yep, same here...

On 11/29/2017 at 6:41 AM, mtcowpony2 said:

Called the nice folks at ranch2arena actually got to speak with Mr. Watt himself they were out of country hence no replies to my email queries about the QC edgers. He gave me a very clear and concise explanation about the "line" that the edgers made in the video and that some users are getting.  It's not a product deficiency more of a user issue and how the edgers should be maintained.  I ordered the 6 piece set today.  Also if there is any interest they are made of 1075 spring steel which is a good carbon steel, very tough and very good for holding an edge.