TheHernandezWorkshop

Tips for my tooling?

First of all 

I am new to the site , so I don't know if I put my question in the right place or stuff but yeah. ive noticed my tooling/stamping doesn't always reach the desired results , and I've been wondering why.

1- do I not use a heavy enough tool for stamping? (Mallet etc) I use a 16 oz rubber mallet , should I use something better? 

2- do I not use the correct products? I stamp then I apply antique finish and then sheen , is there anything I'm not doing ? 

And 3- am I just not using the right tools ? Wont list out my tool's names because I dont have them at the moment but the image should give a hint of what tools I've used ,

By the way this is the type of result i want https://www.google.com/search?q=sheridan+style+carving&safe=strict&client=ms-android-metropcs-us&prmd=sivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjp_LX8qpzQAhXC1IMKHbTFCqIQ_AUICCgC&biw=360&bih=511&dpr=2#imgrc=CpEyvywNCC4dDM%3A

By the way the basket weave is completely wrong I know 

received_141944176281393.jpeg

It looks to me that your leather is very wet when you are tooling.  In the How Do I Do it section there is a good write up on casing leather.  Read through that and let your leather get drier and you will see a big difference in the impressions your stamps make.

I use an 11 oz rawhide mallet for tooling.  Not sure how the rubber would work at all, but with rawhide, 11 oz is plenty.