SUBLIMINALIDOL

So new it hurts my brain

Hay there everyone.

Got me a 1995 softail the other day and it needs saddlebags so here I am. Started Polkin around to see what is all is involved with attempting to start such a project and well let's just say that overwhelmed is pretty much where I'm at. Looks like there are a lot of knowlagable members in this site and I look forward to future conversations. 

SUB 

And you are looking for ...?  Patterns?  Tools? Machines? Ideas?

Chrome excel ( I think that is the proper name ) would be excellent for saddlebags. Clean lookin, tough, and weather resistant.

I'm looking to make saddlebags and use ghost brackets ( formally known as)... tools, patterns and ideas very much needed.... as far as " art work" I'm going to get the kid to do that part, hopefully.... kids these days days like there art stuf.

SUB 

the easiest way to look at any bag, is to start with a square/rectangle ,the same dimensions as you want the finished bag to be, and work from there. so grab some pizza boxes or some large card and make it out of cardboard first, then use that for your templates.   front-back(with flap)- gusset and thats the basic format for any bag all the rest is down to personal preference. re stitching or lacing. search pinterest for ideas or any site you can find with what your basically looking for . and of course keep plugging away on here for help, but most of all DONT GIVE UP :-)  

regards 

sharkey :-) 

If you are looking to do any tooling, then forget the chrome tanned, you will need veg tanned leather. Others will be able to give you a better idea of what kind, since I am relatively new myself.