Reverse2057

Need help securing bullets to a hat band.

Hey all, 

New member here, but I'm running out of places I can search for help on either ideas or instruction. 

I have a hat band I'm wanting to make, and I haven't yet gotten all the supplies because I'm not sure what all I'll need for the project.

My goal is to make a leather hat band with unobstructed bullets around the outside. I'm wanting to avoid the typical bullet loops look or stitching around the front of the bullet, as I feel it would obscure the bullet itself aesthetically. I'm going to be using pre-fired .357 Magnum brass bullets and leather for the hat band itself. 

I have a hat band currently on my hat, and the decorative pieces on it have a type of diamond-shaped rivet with prongs that punched through the band to be bent back to secure them on sort of like a staple. Simple stuff. 

The bullets I'm getting can have a hole drilled into them, and in my mind's eye I pictured something like some sort of brad or rivet securing inside the drilled hole of the bullet, so essentially the bullet would have prongs sticking out of it on one side that I can then use to secure it to a hat band cleanly.

I hope that made sense. A friend suggested some sort of contact cement or glue or goop but I worry that a bullet's surface area onto leather would prove both too small and weak in lasting under duress of wear and tear, and would be messy and not clean in presentation if I were to go this route.

tl;dr: I'm searching for help on if there's a way to give the bullet some sort of prongs that can be put through a leather hat band while looking slick and put together and not sloppy.  Would there be a way to simply secure the rounded surface area of the bullet to a flat rivet itself which then can be secured to the hat band? Is it even possible to drill a hole into a bullet and have something inserted that would create prongs for the bullet itself?
Are prongs even the best way to go about this? or would glue or goop or contact cement prove better?  The leather hat band will be sitting snug against a high-quality leather cowboy hat so I also want it to be safe against the leather of my hat without scratching or something.

I'm completely new at all of this so any and all ideas and help would be greatly appreciated! :)

Thanks for your time!

Edited by Reverse2057

The tool you want to use is a pop rivet gun.

It will go thru the leather, . . . then thru one side of the cartridge, . . . when you pull the handle on the pop rivet, . . . it will put the two together and it WILL be a pain to separate them later.  You can also use 2 rivets, . . . one at the top and one at the bottom so that the bullets don't cock on you.

Should be an easy project.  Lowes, Home Depot, or Menards carry them, . . .

May God bless,

Dwight

I think the easiest route for you, would be to drill through the band and into the cartridge, then put a screw through the band into the shell.

2 minutes ago, Dwight said:

The tool you want to use is a pop rivet gun.

It will go thru the leather, . . . then thru one side of the cartridge, . . . when you pull the handle on the pop rivet, . . . it will put the two together and it WILL be a pain to separate them later.  You can also use 2 rivets, . . . one at the top and one at the bottom so that the bullets don't cock on you.

Should be an easy project.  Lowes, Home Depot, or Menards carry them, . . .

May God bless,

Dwight

Ah nice idea!  My only qualm is there will be a rivet showing on the front of the bullet won't there? I'm trying to avoid showing anything on the front of the bullet if possible. But if there's no other way I can find that might be my best option. 

The rivet would only need to go through one side, the side that is up against the band.

4 minutes ago, CaptQuirk said:

The rivet would only need to go through one side, the side that is up against the band.

Oh!  Looking up a video on a pop rivet i think that actually might do the trick!  Thank you guys so much for the help! :)

Just make sure you post it so we can see the fruit of your labors.........lol

May God bless,

Dwight

2 problems that might arise with the pop rivets- First, you need the rivet gun, and cheapos usually break fast. Second, the force of the rivet tightening could pull on the thin wall of the shell case, either pulling through, or warping it. Do not over crank it!

2 minutes ago, Dwight said:

Just make sure you post it so we can see the fruit of your labors.........lol

May God bless,

Dwight

Oh I will!  If it turns out as I hope I'll be wanting to show it off for sure. :)

1 minute ago, CaptQuirk said:

2 problems that might arise with the pop rivets- First, you need the rivet gun, and cheapos usually break fast. Second, the force of the rivet tightening could pull on the thin wall of the shell case, either pulling through, or warping it. Do not over crank it!

Great advice! I'll have extra bullets in case I screw up on some of them and likely extra leather in case that somehow gets messed up as well. I'll likely do a practice attempt on some scrap leather and an extra bullet so I can get the finished product looking good without making a mistake. But I'm glad you pointed out that the bullet wall will be fragile and something to be wary of warping, that hadn't crossed my mind yet! :)

Whether you use a screw or a rivet, you will need to pre drill. Use a small bit and a drill press to make things easy on you. Don't force too hard, or you could have a problem. I suggested a short sheet metal screw because you won't need anything besides a screw driver... and the use of a drill press. Either way would work well, just be wary of dollar store rivets and rivet gun. I have had them break on the first rivet.

Pop rivets or "blind rivets" is definitely the way to go. Make sure they have a good size flange - so they don't pull through the leather headband. You could use a relative small rivet with a washer between the flange and the leather, but everything ads weight and the .357 bullet is already heavy, depending on the projectile weight (normally 125gr / 158 gr).

A few of those on your head is going to be noticed....not only in looks but the wearer will feel the added weight! 

I believe the poster said they were discharged, and he was only using the shell?

Edited by CaptQuirk

You can solder standard hardware to brass and copper stuff. I use this technique to make 'penny rivets' like a concho

The one thing for sure you want to do with pop rivets also, . . . drill the proper sized hole.

You want a hole that the rivet will go in, . . . but nothing extra.  

And there are short, small diameter pop rivets that will do your job nicely.

Like CaptQuirk said though, . . . the cheap guns really are that, . . . cheap, and don't last long.   Consider investing in a good one, . . . if you anticipate surviving another 20 or so years, . . . you will find many, many times where you said, . . . "Man am I glad I have this tool".  

I cannot tell you how many rivets I've gone through, . . . but I now own two rivet guns, . . . the old one I bought back in the 70's is all but worn out.

May God bless,

Dwight

21 hours ago, CaptQuirk said:

I believe the poster said they were discharged, and he was only using the shell?

Misinterpretation...

On 11/10/2016 at 5:11 AM, Reverse2057 said:

pre-fired .357 Magnum brass bullets

Bullet by definition: - a metal projectile for firing from a rifle, revolver, or other small firearm, typically cylindrical and pointed, and sometimes containing an explosive.

As the reference "bullet" was used I thought the pre-fired shell casing would be capped with a projectile...to make it look like a real bullet!

Carrying a 357 myself, I agree the ammo is heavy. 20 rounds on my belt feels like another 10 lbs They do have dummy bullets that look reel, but are inert and likely a lot lighter.

@Dwight

@CaptQuirk

@dirkba

@TinkerTailor

So I promised to show you all the finished product when it was done!  The pop rivets were a brilliant idea and one I went with. Drilling the bullets without a drill press was way hard, but I had some helping hands thankfully.  Was able to buy an entire hide of deeply oiled leather that's normally like $160 for only $80 today, so I jumped on the project and finished it up. Cut everything myself for the band, punched the holes, affixed it all m'self as well.  I'm super pleased with the results for it being my first time ever doing something of this nature, so thanks for all your help guys! :D!

Enjoy!!! 

http://imgur.com/a/1YtfD

Good job, . . . enjoy it, . . . 

May God bless,

Dwight

Well done ...it looks great!