JLSleather

Blue guns 'n' stuff

Guess maybe I'll add 'dummy' guns to the mix of what I'm sendin' out.  Hafta check on how that goes north of the border (MN), but today I talked with the folks at Ring's, got the straight answer on "dealer" pricing ($39 ea).

Maybe set up somethin' where a fella (er a gal) could buy the dummy gun and save on the holster pattern? ;)

Maybe git that chubby girl to help with the shippin' o' stuff ...

Yep.  Likely should have just done this from the start :dunno:  But, I wasn't making holsters for a good while, 'til m' buddy Robert got me doin 'em again.  

Edited by JLSleather

so whater ya thinken on the final price cus I kin getem froma guy up New York way fer 42 and change but they tag ya on the shipping lessen ya buy 3 or 4 at a time then the shipping drops not driven the price up to bad.  What sa ya on this.

Would you happen to have a makarov?

Never mind, I need a Polish P-64, not a Makarov.

I'm not doing this until after I'm settled from the move.  It's a bit pricey to order ONE from the factory, but I use enough of 'em to justify spending the money for "dealer" pricing, and if the next guy can benefit too I'm okay with that.  

Honestly, I tire of waiting for "distributors" to stock a model, only to find out that they've jacked the cost by about $10-12 on each one.  Jacked up $10 once, so what?!#!!  Jacked up $10 50 times, now that starts to matter. ;)

Maybe a lease program, for the folks who just need a particular gun model once or twice, but dont' want to stock it.  Like pay the shipping (both ways) and you can 'borrow' one...

I'd be in for buying Blue Gun and discount on the pattern that goes with it. Your patterns have not failed me yet and I'd be able to make some more popular holsters ahead.

Right.. but -- how much delivered to your door?

Yeah .. makes those selling them at $50 or more look .. well.. not so great ;)  And then they "tack on" exorbitant shipping costs... Most of these places (the ones I'm familiar with) are making money both sides of the coin -- making the gun seem like a "loss leader" (and selling you something else with a larger margin), AND significantly padding the shipping charges.

Here's a thing FYI.. you can ship all but the largest ring's pistols in a priority box for like $6.20 within the US.  That is box included, insurance included.  So those places that charge $7 and up PLUS want you to pay for insurance, that's their "padding".  Each his own,  but I prefer not to pay it.

If a guy is buying 1 or 2 or 3 guns, few bucks doesn't matter one way or another, probably.  But if you're buying 50, then $6-8 apiece is adding up.  Basically, that's a free side of good leather and two big spools of thread.... ;)

Seems the smart way to go.. 2 or 3 fellas pool the funds and split an order from rings -- I mean, if you were going to buy them anyway.  

Edited by JLSleather

My last order for blue guns was from Rob at The Blue Gun store. Seems he doesn't stock many any more. They are just drop shipped from the Ring's factory. I ordered eight at one time and it took five weeks to get my order.  Wasn't too pleased.

Might make a difference on the time frame depending on the model (they could be temp out of a popular one, I suppose).  But $39 x 8 = 312.  All 8 pistols would all go in a large flat rate priority box, which is currently $18.75.  That's $330.  Maybe vary time on occasion, but my last one from Rings --.gun in hand in a few days.

Not just blue guns, but anything really .... I don't mind paying a bit more if there is a service being offered.  

Like, you pay more at retailers for Hermann Oak leather, but you skip having to buy 10 sides.  Fair enough .. IF the leather is the same I'm getting from HO (it likely isn't).  

Or I pay an extra $1 for buckles but I get to not buy 100 of 'em.  All of that is generally fine.  

But if I'm paying more for some "service", then I need to know what service it is I'm getting, and what I'm paying for it.

I would be interested in getting 2 blue guns, if your thinking of doing a group buy.

I guess I could do something like that if there's enough interest.  I dont mind bein' the gofer ;)  Besides, I could use a few more around here, too.

So, are you going to be a distributor for rings? Or are you talking a one time buy in?

I did see where you said it would be after you move, but I'm a little confused on the details here.

Please enlighten me.

I would be interested in a few as well if it helps drive the numbers up and the cost down.

Minimum first purchase is $1500, so -- 40 guns.  Is there currently demand for that many?  Or, so 30 - since if I think for a minute I'm sure I could come up with 10 I could use purdy quickly.

After teh first buy, then I (or anybody) can get guns at $39 and only need buy one (though,  what's the point of just one?).  But if it helps, I'd get over teh shipping charges (me to you) just to get the first buy out of the way. Advantage is, next time you need one or two, it's $40-42 plus shipping.

Either way, fellas... let me know if you have use for 30 of 'em , maybe between 5-6 guys.. and I'll order 'em together.

I can use a S&W Shield and Springfield xd. If I'm not mistaken 9mm .40 and .357 Sig. In these guns are all the same size (outside measurement). Gotta start building a inventory lol. These seem to be popular carry weapons. Matt.

I could easily commit to two at a time.

But which first two? Ahhh the plot thickens......

38 minutes ago, bikermutt07 said:

I could easily commit to two at a time.

But which first two? Ahhh the plot thickens......

Like rivet dies?! Lol

With that much talent you should be in Hollywood. Ha!

Just an FYI from my personal experience, the Walther PPQ 9 and 40 cal are also the same size and shape gun. But, they did move the mag release on the M2 version, don't know if it changes the "blue gun" fit at all.

This may not currently be clear.  Here's the short version:  Rings charges $39 ea for "dealer" pricing.  Then shipping is additional few bucks.  But many "resellers" are charging $50, then wanting you to pay "insurance" on top of that.  But if you paid for priority shipping, that INCLUDES insurance, so paying "insurance" is just something they say to bump up the cost a bit more.  BS.  

Now, here's what happens if you buy guns. If you buy ONE, prolly don't matter much.  But looky here - how that "free' shipping gits ya when it's added into the item price....:

BLUE.gifSo as I said, you buy one gun.. no big deal.  

But you buy 5, and "they" got you for $44 just for ordering from rings what you could have ordered with a phone call.

At 9 guns, you're paying $84 "extra".  To come up with these shipping numbers, I weighed 1 gun, and 5 guns, and 9 guns, and then checked the actual shipping charges from usps.com

BUT.. teh $39 price is for "dealer" pricing, and to become a "dealer" one must cough up that initial ONE TIME order of $1500 (40 guns).  After that, you can buy as little as ONE gun and get the $39 pricing.  Seriously, I got all this info in ONE phone call :o

So what I was suggesting was roughly what someone above called "group buy".  If we need some guns anyway, I'll order them and have them shipped, then send out to the ones who wanted those models.  I would be "taking a hit' on teh shipping - since I would be paying the second cost.  But that's acceptable to me to get that first buy out of the way :dunno:

SO ALRIGHTEY THEN:   If you have specific models you would like to pick up, send me a message -- I'll likely do this in about 2 weeks.  Cost will be $40 each.  I assume that will cover the shipping from rings to me, and anything it costs me to ship to you is my problem.

IF on the other hand, you don't need any, or you do need some but don't care to trust me to make the group purchase, either way --- just walk away and don't worry about it :)

Edited by JLSleather