yamahog3187

Wallet design question

After watching hours of videos I have decided to tackle my first wallet. I have most of it designed, but I need one bit of help. How much longer do I make the outer cover then the lining? This wallet will be a bi-fold, Is it different for a tri-fold? (Double what you do for a bi-fold?)

TIA

I make the liner 1/4" shorter than the outside (side to side).

Assuming by "bi-fold" you mean the second row here, with the fish and eagle (what I call a "billfold").

Edited by JLSleather

Good question-- It's going to be hard to give you a number because leather thicknesses and so on will change that.
I used pigskin on my trifold wallet, and I eyeballed it rather than measuring and cutting to measure. 
I did the tooled leather outer layer first, then used a section of pigskin that was longer than the wallet. I folded it up with the pigskin inside, marked the amount that stuck out, trimmed off the excess, and went on from there. 
Then I attached the pockets.

wallet interior.jpg

wallet top.jpg

Indeed leather thickness plays a role. Most of my wallet have a 5-6oz exterior and I keep them 1/2 inch longer. It certainly helps to remember you can always trim the excess off but you can't add it back! Cheers.