shaggs

Adler 205 Stitching Issues

I had a needle pull out and jam while sewing  on my Adler, replaced needle and now it wont pick up any stitches...I hear a slight almost seems like a rubbing when I slowly turn the wheel and lower the needle down.

What's the sub-number if your Adler 205?  Grab a third needle and try it to see if it makes any difference.

CD in Oklahoma

1 hour ago, cdthayer said:

What's the sub-number if your Adler 205?  Grab a third needle and try it to see if it makes any difference.

CD in Oklahoma

374  Ive tried many different needles and they're all doing the same thing...they sew a few stitches and then pick up nothing.  

It's possible the needle damaged the point of the shuttle,you might want to take the needle plate off & if you turn it slowly you can see the point ,make sure the tip  still has a nice looking point on it.

Check your upper threading again.  Better yet, take the upper thread completely out and re-thread it.  Something as simple as missing the check spring when threading can cause missed stitches.

CD in Oklahoma

Dental mirror and a flashlight, might have a hunk of thread in a waybackthere spot leftover from the jam.

I ve cleaned everything out , its threaded properly...when I watch the stitching cycle it looks like the loop doesnt open enough for the hook to catch it, Ive adjusted the tension and it just doesnt look like its creating that loop. checked the shuttle point and with a thin piece of leather going slow it grabs the loop but any kind of speed and thickness of leather it doesnt seem to make that loop.

Edited by shaggs

Weak presser foot down-pressure can let your work lift up along with the needle, keeping the loop from forming large enough, but I don't see how dropping a needle would change your presser foot pressure....

CD in Oklahoma

ETA:  I just thought of something else.  I know that you said that it is threaded right, but check close to make sure that your thread isn't looped behind something that is hampering smooth feed of the upper thread.  Dropping a needle  could cause a quick jerk on your upper thread during the commotion, causing slack in the thread that can get out of place and foul somewhere along the line...

Edited by cdthayer
Thought of something else.

I would check both the timing of the hook and the clearance from the hook to the needle.  The needle jamming it may have moved the hook.

Are you using the same thickness thread. Do you have the corresponding spacer?

The tricky thing that a lot of people miss about the 205 series is ther spacer system.  Are you sure that you have the proper spacer installed behind the hook?  If not, you could be skipping stitches or the needle could be rubbing if the spacer is too small.

My first needle change from a #23 to #25 resulted in the exact issue you described. After an exhausting and exasperating hour, I found I had the scarf and the groove of the new needle backwards. (Scarf go inside-Groove goes on the outside)  I felt so relieved and careless. But it has never happened again since. This may not be you problem, but it is worth a check.

jr

I have a 200 spacer and I am using a NM 200 size 25 needle with #207 nylon thread top and bottom...needle is inserted correct.  I am thinking the needle jamming might have moved the hook. It looks like the eye of the needle is slightly lower when it meets the hook,  I have never timed a machine, watched some youtube videos. Not many people in my area work on these machines.  I would assume a special timing gauge is needed...is timing a machine something that can be learned step by step?