Eldorado

Artisan 4000 clicking

I've got an Artisan 4000 cylinder arm that has developed a loud click down in the cylinder during each stitch.  It does it 8 out of 10 stitches.  The stitches where it occurs it over pulls the top thread through.  On those where it doesnt, the stitch is even.  I cant see anything that would be making that sound and that behavior, except the bobbin itself.  Any advice?

It´s probably the shuttle hook that is clicking inside the shuttle driver when oscillating? The shuttle hook has some play since the top thread has to go around the shuttle hook. Thats quite normal I´d say but if you are able to upload a youtube video that would probably help.

Edited by Constabulary

I know my 441 clone will do weird clicks and what not when things start hanging up. I dont always know what makes the noise but I do know it indicates I need to check the thread spool or the needle or bobbin thread ......... 

Have ya taken out the bobbin and hook and cleaned everything up and checked for any issues while ya are in there. Same thing goes for the machines face, pull the face plate off and give everything a once over and oil it all up. 

My Artisan 3200 is makes a subtle click until the bobbin is just about empty, then it clicks louder.  Something I have found is that I need to regularly clean out the thread tensioner on the bobbin case otherwise the stitch can get inconsistent.

Thanks for these thoughts.  I'll give it a look with these in mind.  

It occurs to me that I mistyped.  Its an Artisan 3000.  I may start by refilling the bobbin with new thread and change out the needle and see what happens.  

I'd upload a video but I can't see anything happening when it occurs.  Maybe I'll get my wife to sew something while I get very close.

Thanks again.

11 hours ago, Eldorado said:

Thanks for these thoughts.  I'll give it a look with these in mind.  

It occurs to me that I mistyped.  Its an Artisan 3000.  I may start by refilling the bobbin with new thread and change out the needle and see what happens.  

I'd upload a video but I can't see anything happening when it occurs.  Maybe I'll get my wife to sew something while I get very close.

Thanks again.

While you are in there, pull out the hook and clean and lube it. I have not had a thread hang up or any stitch problems for weeks, but mine had also started clicking a bit. Yesterday, I pulled a piece out of the machine after stitching it and caught up in the bottom stitching was a 3/4 inch long piece of old dirty oily thread that had been kicking around down there for a while, until the machine eventually spit it out. The stitching was perfect before and after clicking disappeared as well, but the oil mark sucked..........

My guess is the loop was barely hanging up on that thread piece, and then snapped free, jarring the mechanisms and making something click. I was probably heading for stitch problems in the near future had it not spit out. Right after i cleaned and inspected to ensure there was not anything else.

Many thanks folks.  Turns out it was simply a burr on the needle tip.  You've reminded me to change my needles more often.  When they are as big as the ones on the Artisan, they seldom break, so you dont get the automatic prompting to change them that a common sewing machine would.

I did clean out some gunk in the cylinder mechanism, which might also have been contributing.

Prescott

Tudor Rose Leather Workshop

www.tudorroseleather.com

Are you using the needles that came with the machine? If they are the same as mine, go look at the new ones in the package and see if they even had sharp tips from the factory. The needles were from xin peng needles. The machine had been sewn off on an Groz Beckart needle and worked great until i broke that one pulling the leather out the wrong way. When i went to the selection of needles the machine was packaged with I had the worst issues with consistency until i looked at the tips of the other "new" needles, saw they were junk went and got some schmetz needles. Smooth sailing ever since. If you have not already, throw out those junk chinese needles included with these clones. Or at least get out a magnifying glass and inspect them. There is NO advantage to cheaping out on needles.

'A sewing machine is only as good as the needle'.   I read that somewhere and it has proven to be completely correct.  Maybe Mr. Schmetz said it about a 100 years ago?