FFbullrider

Clicker press vs shop press

Does anyone use a shop press instead of a clicker to save money.  I haven't seen the clicker ones for under 1500 but could buy a shop press for $100 from harbor freight.  Would it work if I don't need the speed or volume, or am I just dreaming?

Not necessarily. A 20 ton shop press can justify some procedures involved in some products. When I make a pancake holster that is 2-ply with an 8-9 and a 5-6, my one ton hand press struggles to push a punch through the layers. I used to cut the belt slots but was never really satisfied. Ever seen a catywampus belt slot that looked as if it was hand cut?

I was gifted a one ton hand press that I used to punch round holes and use a knife to open the slots. It was OK but...............   So I bought the 20 ton. Helloooo easy..................but slow. Are you aware that HF has the air over hydraulic on sale for $79.99? Gonna get one tomorrow.

Maybe complete justification will come tomorrow or the next day. However, today I can punch out the neatest hole you have ever seen. And tomorrow I can do it faster:) And I will think the holster looks much better and I will feel better about selling the holster.

Just so happens I reload for about everything I shoot. I always tell the wife I can always reload this round cheaper than I can buy it across the counter. So I have rows of dies in the reloading building. Now as to the savings..................................................................

A LOT of people are using a "shop press", including me.  It's "fast enough" for me - meaning it would be nice to speed it it, but not $2k nice ;)

Red mentioned holsters, which can also  be wet formed in the same press.

I used a shop press for years before I got my clicker.  In fact, I STILL use it if I have maybe just one or two things I need clicked out and don't want to clear off the clicker bed and fire it up for one or two cuts.  When I bought it I still had two young boys at home and clicking small parts with that press was a great job for them.  There are other things I use the press for also, wet molding as mentioned above, is one.  It has a permanent place in my shop.  It is a cheap tool.