zaynexpetty

Gluing canvas to wooden dowel?

Hey all,

I have a dumb question. I am trying to get a better burnished edge, I think what I need is to glue some canvas to one of my wooden burnishers for a dremel and use that, rather than doing it by hand. Can any of you tell me what kind of glue to use? and should I overlap the canvas so there are no gaps or just glue it seem-to-seem? Right now all I have is the green weldwood contact cement, some wood glue, and some of that white water based elmers glue.

Thanks!

Zayne

Thanks!

just glue or tape it on along an edge.  Wrap it a few times, leave the end loose.  It will unwrap if you let it, just hold it as you are rubbing.

34 minutes ago, electrathon said:

just glue or tape it on along an edge.  Wrap it a few times, leave the end loose.  It will unwrap if you let it, just hold it as you are rubbing.

I planned on using it with a dremel, so it would need to be secure without me having to hold it.

I made one of those a while back. You'll want to use contact cement. Just apply it to the dowel, or whatever you're using as the shaft for the dremel, and apply it to the canvas, then let them each become tacky before sticking together. In my experience when using this on my drill press, I needed to secure the other end as well. Perhaps a dremel will do a better job of combating centrifugal force to keep the loose end from flapping around, but my drill press didn't. The loose end flaps outward just enough to slap against your skin, and that gets old pretty quick! And it makes the canvas fray pretty fast too.

41 minutes ago, particle said:

I made one of those a while back. You'll want to use contact cement. Just apply it to the dowel, or whatever you're using as the shaft for the dremel, and apply it to the canvas, then let them each become tacky before sticking together. In my experience when using this on my drill press, I needed to secure the other end as well. Perhaps a dremel will do a better job of combating centrifugal force to keep the loose end from flapping around, but my drill press didn't. The loose end flaps outward just enough to slap against your skin, and that gets old pretty quick! And it makes the canvas fray pretty fast too.

I tried it in the past as well and this was my experience. Maybe if I fold in the edges before I glue... I dont know. I didnt like getting whipped.

Wrap it the direction so that any overlap won't want to flip out (depending on direction of rotation for your rotary tool).

Wood glue or contact cement would hold canvas and wood without issue.

Made one using weldwood worked just fine. As stated wrap it in a direction so that the rotation of the tool wont want to unwrap it. Will last until the canvas wears out. 

On 11/24/2016 at 4:57 PM, johnv474 said:

Wrap it the direction so that any overlap won't want to flip out (depending on direction of rotation for your rotary tool).

Wood glue or contact cement would hold canvas and wood without issue.

On 11/25/2016 at 0:20 AM, MADMAX22 said:

Made one using weldwood worked just fine. As stated wrap it in a direction so that the rotation of the tool wont want to unwrap it. Will last until the canvas wears out. 

I will try this, thanks guys.

I think denim works better than ca

On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 2:25 PM, zaynexpetty said:

Hey all,

I have a dumb question. I am trying to get a better burnished edge, I think what I need is to glue some canvas to one of my wooden burnishers for a dremel and use that, rather than doing it by hand. Can any of you tell me what kind of glue to use? and should I overlap the canvas so there are no gaps or just glue it seem-to-seem? Right now all I have is the green weldwood contact cement, some wood glue, and some of that white water based elmers glue.

Thanks!

Zayne

Thanks!

I think you would get a better burnish using denim instead of canvas

5 hours ago, wlg190861 said:

I think denim works better than ca

I think you would get a better burnish using denim instead of canvas

That is something I have neither thought of, nor tried. I'll give that a shot. Thanks!

I have been using the flesh side of scrap leather for burnishing, never had canvas.