Sign in to follow this  
Double U Leather

Rope Can

104_0448.JPG Here's a rope can I finished for my son for Christmas. I've only been trying my hand at Sheridan style stuff for a couple months. I think this turned out pretty good. I've been watching this board for a while and figured I'd jump in the mix. I can tell you, my stuff doesn't really compare with some of the things I've seen on here. Ya'll are some fabulous leather craftsmen.

post-7660-1230940506_thumb.jpg

Thanks for jumping in, I like it the open design. Great job on the border too. He'll like it.

Awesome work, but I have a question? What is a 'rope can'? Sorry, some of us 'urban folk' we need a 'scratch & sniff' description.

Thanks

Happy New Years greeting from Round Rock, Texas

ATX,

Rope cans are used to carry ropes. Mostly used by rodeo calf ropers to keep their ropes neat, organized, and protected for travel. Calf ropes are usually a manila ("Grass") or poly rope, or a blend. They are a little temperamental with weather and humidity. They can get raggy and soft, ot springy and coiled like new fishing line. These are hard cans and sealed. The center has a well to carry spurs and horn knots, along with a sack of dessicant in swampy climates or a stolen wet hotel washrag in dry climates to maintain humidity somewhat. Some of the newer ropes don't require quite the level of care the older ones did.

Team ropers mostly use rope bags. Normally a soft sided bag and larger diameter than the rope cans. Team ropers use nylon or nylon/poly blend ropes. They are still a bit sensitive to temperature, but less so than grass calf ropes.

Since these only come in so many colors and styles, a lot of guys get them customized with leather. When you are somewhere with 50 or 75 other guys, there are bound to be some duplicates and this helps to identify who owns it. It kind of makes the statement "This is mine, and I'm a factor", probably much like a custom case for a trap shooter or pool player. Most of us making these do custom orders, and several of us have done them for trophy type award items for rodeos or roping associations too.

Great job on the rope can!

Edited by hidepounder

104_0448.JPG Here's a rope can I finished for my son for Christmas. I've only been trying my hand at Sheridan style stuff for a couple months. I think this turned out pretty good. I've been watching this board for a while and figured I'd jump in the mix. I can tell you, my stuff doesn't really compare with some of the things I've seen on here. Ya'll are some fabulous leather craftsmen.

Nice work!! You have only been doing this for a couple of months? You have a talent! Keep up the great work and post those pic's!!!

Rick J.

Hey thanks for all the kind words. I really appreciate them, especially coming from the likes of hidepounder and bruce johnson. I've been lurking here for while looking at ya'lls work and to receive compliments from the 2 of you is certainly a feather in my cap. I'd give my right arm to be able to go camp out on your door step (well actually I'd rather camp out in your leather shops) for a month or so. Anyway, thanks for your kind words. I've got a couple Bible covers I've done also that I'll put up when I get back to the house. I've been doing leather work for quite a while i.e. chaps, basket stamped things, etc., but have only recently tried my hand at Sheridan. I've now found a whole new challenge to master. Thanks again, and I'll post more pics soon.

That looks gorgeous. I'm no expert by any means and i'm completely at a lost when it comes to Sheridan style but, i do have a taste for it. I can totally appreciate the skill of it now that i do leather work. I think you've done yourself proud here.

AHA

Ok, I appreciate the description and lesson. Either way, it sure is beautiful work!

Happy New Years greetings from Round Rock, Tx

Do you mind sharing your finishing technique on this project? I really like the color and constrast. It really turned out beautiful!

Thanks.

Do you mind sharing your finishing technique on this project? I really like the color and constrast. It really turned out beautiful!

Thanks.

ATX,

I used a typical Sheridan style finish technique that I learned from this board.

Neatsfoot Oil (let dry good)

NeatLac (cover thoroughly so there's no spotting)

Antique (That's EcoFlow medium brown I think)

Tan Kote.

That's the sequence. The key I think is to not get impatient. I really make sure stuff dries well before I go to the next step. Hope that helps.

That's what I used on my latest project after screwing one up with "super Sheen" in place of Neatlac, it came out absolutely horrible. So I "stole" an open can of Neatlac from a friend since Tandy is not selling this product anymore. Man, that stuff works really good!!

I appreciate the response, I hope to show off my latest project with the use of my 'stolen' can of neatlac. It's beautiful.....but when I went to put on my 'Tan Kote' the finish started coming off???? so I freak, just a little, but I stopped after the first coat. It dried for two days before I even considered the T-Kote?

I guess I am still learning.

Appreciate you

Greetings from Round Rock, Texas

Great looking Rope Can. I totally admire those who do sharidan work and you proved why.

Where does one get the cans, Smith brothers rarely has any, and I have tried national roping supply, with some luck - but are there any other places to try?

In early December I needed some more for Christmas orders and Smith Bros backordered me. I ended up and got a couple from Kings and four from Callaway Ropes in Dublin, TX to get me through. It sounds like the reason SB was out was Callaway had just ordered about 75 in. She was very easy to deal with and I'd sure order from her again. A couple days before Christmas SB sent me the backorder, so I expect they've got them again. If you just need a couple and they're out again, I've got black 4 rope cans right now.

I've always had pretty good luck with NRS. The can in the pic was his old can that we just cleaned up. It used to have a basket stamped cover with an inlaid hair on lightning bolt and R2W tooled into it. Unfortunately, he got caught in a horrendous downpour a couple years ago at the Little Britches National Finals and the rope can was actually floating in about 2 feet of water. Needless to say, the old cover had seen better days.