Daniel G

What kind of machine/foot is this?

Was trying to find a leather ruffler foot for boxing gloves and came across this. Can anyone identify it? 

Untitled-2-1.png

Edited by Daniel G

Please us the foot from the side and front as well so we can help identify it.

glenn

12 minutes ago, shoepatcher said:

Please us the foot from the side and front as well so we can help identify it.

glenn

Wish I could, but it was the only pic I found.

I wasn't sure it it was some kind of ruffler foot. I'm currently doing it by hand and was curious if there was an easier way.

IMG_20161116_104731.jpg

There are machines with feet for ruffling.  A lot of time machines will have a differential feed in that the upper feed and lower feed  can be changed so that they are not the same.  The Singer 144W304 comes to mind.    You can change the amount of difference in the  upper and lower feed.

glenn

The machine looks a lot like a Durkopp Adler 67 type machine (Pfaff 145 also uses similar throat plates). That foot in the picture looks a lot like a plain top roller foot riding on a normal bottom feed dog. How they get the material to ruffle, I don't really know. You can't really see the material going into the machine in this picture, or whether it really gets ruffled in this step.

If the leather is thin enough you can perhaps ruffle it by purposely unbalancing the thread tensions so that the bobbin thread always gets pulled all the way to the top. Then the taught top thread holds the stitch line back while the bottom feed pushes the leather backward, thereby ruffling it. But that concept only works with a single layer and with bottom-only feed, and it may only work in my head, not in real life. But I've seen a similar ruffle effect happening while sewing fabric on a bottom feed machine when my top thread accidentally got caught on something.

Your leather ruffling sample looks much too thick for that approach and you're stitching the ruffled top part to a straight bottom layer to lock in the ruffle. 

Edited by Uwe

Here's a ruffling foot demo video. Whether this approach will work on your type of leather, I'm not sure. But it's the closest thing I've seen so far.

And here's a slightly more elaborate ruffling/pleating contraption made by Kwok Hing:

http://www.kwokhing.com/ru/

Edited by Uwe