splitrail

Rolled Handles

Can anyone tell me how to do rolled handles by machine.  I have a Cobra Class 4... I am currently hand stitching them, but I really need to cut down on time.  Can anyone provide me with some examples of how they can be done.  Thanks so much.   The photo shows the 3oz hide and the results I am currently getting

Julie 

_I7A0973.JPG

I fold it over and sew it flat with no padding, just a string through it. After i stitch i use the string to pull in my filler cord. If the filler cord is doubled over, but soft enough, you can put a stick through the loop at one end and hold the tails at the other, twisting the filler cords up inside the handle to tighten  them up and fill out the handle. They can also be done pre padded by wedging the rolled portion between the foot and an edge guide. Never had as much success with this method. There are also special foot setups for this.

Exactly as Mike states has proven to work best for me. It's so much easier for me to glue the core in.

I'm the same, basting tape to hold the cord on a piece about 3" wide, fold it, stitch it (with a machine) tight to the cord then cut off the excess close to the stitching freehand with a round knife, then shape the ends. 

Edited by venator
Spelling

Thanks so much for all the suggestions.