kjcreamer

Hand Creaser and Electric Creaser Questions

1. I have two styles of hand creasers that I heat up using a burner. I've never been happy with the results. Why don't they make a hand tool that you can heat (I've see the wooden ones but obvs no heat) with one side longer to ensure the line stays even? This would help going around a curve because you could keep pressure on edge to to stay consistent. I understand that practice helps but I've been "practicing" this A LOT for 1 1/2 yr and still go off course/wobble. Also since you have to sort of angle the tool yourself to accommodate this the line isn't as sharp on one side because it's not perpendicular. Am I expecting too much?

2. I've only used veg tan and just ordered my first couple sides of English Bridle from Wickett and Craig to make messenger bags (had to save up the $ and improve my skills enough to warrant the jump to better quality leather over Tandy stuff). Recommendation for best creaser to work on leather that has been hot stuffed? Just heat and go like I do with veg?

3. I just started to explore electric creasers online. Never used one but since the bridle isn't struck through, I will need to edge paint which I've done by hand with some decent results on thicker veg. I also plan to move into making bags with thinner chrome tanned leathers (floppier leather will be difficult to sand multiple times to apply edge paint well). It appears this product from fineleatherworking.com will do edges AND creases:

Single Creaserhttp://www.fineleatherworking.com/leather-electric-creaser

But...the price...oh my...can't do it. ($600 for unit and $140 or more for EACH tip).

So I found this https://www.campbell-randall.com/shop/index.php?route=product/product&path=74_110&product_id=14436 

Model BF110 Hot Iron Glazing Station (110V)at Campbell Randall for $225 and roughly $42 for each tip. Now I still can't afford this yet but has anyone used it? 

4. Then I checked out eBay and found these

Leather-Brass-Soldering-Iron-Tip-Press-Edge-Sector-Marking-Creaser-Decorate-Tool

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leather-Brass-Soldering-Iron-Tip-Press-Edge-Sector-Marking-Creaser-Decorate-Tool/371747551454?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D39107%26meid%3D8c42ff24045d491eb9f1efcbfa20635c%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D172153479805

Could I buy a generic soldering iron and use these? If so how would these attach? I know many of you also have wood shops and metal shops to make and shape tools. Unfortunately this isn't something I know how to do but if I had enough directions and didn't have to buy a ton of expensive tools I'd be willing to try/learn. Basically I own a drill, Dremel tool, and some hand tools and that's it. I know...not a lot to work with. 

I'll be watching for answers.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/211974924/electric-leather-tools-copper-edge?ref=similar_listings_row

Saw this one on etsy the other day. I've never used any of them.

I found this today at Michaels mj design. I imagine hobby lobby also has them. This one was 30 bucks and has a temperature adjustment, but it didn't have an actual creaser tip. I don't know if there is a standard size they all follow or not.  

1121161508-918x1632.jpg

1121161508a-918x1632.jpg

Well I bought the Campbell Randall after all but haven't received it yet. I'll post what I think after I've used it some. 

I have the Regad electric creaser. I got mine from RMLS.

https://www.rmleathersupply.com/collections/machines/products/electric-edging-tool

With some practice & experimenting you can get great creases on almost any leather. The most important features needed would be adjustable temps and the right creaser tips.

I also use it to melt paraffin wax and paint to finish edges. It takes several coats and lots of sanding.

Here's an edge finished with Fenice paint.

I tried the wood burner thing but none of the tips worked very well. Mine didn't have adjustable temps either.

edge.jpg

Edited by thefanninator

I think your edge turned out fantastic.

On 11/21/2016 at 8:52 PM, bikermutt07 said:

I found this today at Michaels mj design. I imagine hobby lobby also has them. This one was 30 bucks and has a temperature adjustment, but it didn't have an actual creaser tip. I don't know if there is a standard size they all follow or not.  

1121161508-918x1632.jpg

1121161508a-918x1632.jpg

Hello!

Can you please advise if Michael's Versa-Tool was good for finishing edges?

Thank you!

On 10/28/2018 at 5:01 PM, AKT said:

Hello!

Can you please advise if Michael's Versa-Tool was good for finishing edges?

Thank you!

Sorry, I haven't actually used it yet. My hobby room is still disassembled.

On 10/29/2018 at 10:50 PM, bikermutt07 said:

Sorry, I haven't actually used it yet. My hobby room is still disassembled.

Just ordered one today ill pick it up and give it a little test run!

Solder Irons for stained glass. They make some high quality irons that are temperature adjustable and would probably work fine with the tips listed on ebay. You'll still have a couple of hundred in a good soldering iron that's adjustable. You'll probably be guessing to get the correct wattage as soldering irons generally adjust well and work within a certain temperature range.

Being a bit of an oddball I have built pyrography pens, hot wax sculpture tools and that's pretty much what the fine leather working tool is...a home made tool. Having built a few I wouldn't question the durability of the unit or the quality of the tips, you can obviously see the quality of those beautifully polished tips and you just know they would produce a first rate finish. The high price is because it's not a mass produced unit.

I would wager the Randall tips are nicer than the ebay version and you'll probably be getting more for your money.

You'll have to show us how well the Randall works for you

On 11/7/2018 at 6:48 AM, myjtp said:

Just ordered one today ill pick it up and give it a little test run!

Hey myjtp, did you ever try that tool?  Did it work?