kjcreamer

Removing Bad Snaps or Rivets

What's the best way to cleanly remove a snap or rivet that I installed wrong? (I hit it too hard rather than the "tap, tap, tap" and it tipped.

I'm using a Drill Machine and drill a hole in the middle of the snap to drill out the upper part. The drill bit should be a bit larger in diameter than the hole where the snap is installed. Don't use too much pressure or high speed: it can burn the leather. There are also special pliers to cut/remove the pin.

Edited by gigi

I use this tool:  Chicago screw tool and a cordless drill.  I glued an extra layer of rubber on mine that I change out when it becomes worn.  Use a slightly larger drill bit than the shaft of what you are drilling out.  Drilling slowly with light pressure is better than hard and fast.  If you are drilling a capped rivet, centre punch it so you get the hole where you want it.

BTW the tool also works great with Chicago screws.  :rolleyes:

I used to use a drill, now I have a 1/2" thick steel plate with a 3/8" and 1/2" holes drilled through it. When I need to remove a snap or rivet I break out a punch about the diameter of the stud and line the piece up over the hole, one good wack and the snap or rivet is removed.